Simple (?) Spousal Visa Question

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Yatsushiro2
Regular

Simple (?) Spousal Visa Question

Post by Yatsushiro2 »

I somewhat understand the process of applying for a COE for the purposes of applying for a Spousal Visa. It sounds like a long and complicated process, and we are finding different answers about how it works. Even the Japanese Consolate here in Canada can't give us any straight answers.

My friend who recently moved to Japan keeps saying "just do it after you get here, it's easy man." I have also heard about a thread here (which I cannot find) that discusses getting the 90-day tourist visa and then applying for COE/Spousal Visa from within Japan.

We (Japanese wife and I) plan to move to Japan at the end of June. Which option is easier/less hassle?

If applying and getting the COE/Spousal Visa before we leave is the best option, is there a resource that provides a precise, step-by-step guide to complete the process?
Yatsushiro2
Regular

Re: Simple (?) Spousal Visa Question

Post by Yatsushiro2 »

Perhaps not a simple question after all. :?:

Any thoughts would be appreciated, folks. :)
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Did you get married here--registering the marriage at a city office as would normally happen? I've heard that simplifies/streamlines the spouse visa.

That's the only bit that I can offer--good luck!
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

I applied for a spouse visa at the Japanese Embassy in London (UK) in 2017.

At that time there was the option to apply without a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE). It seemed that applicants were being steered towards the CoE route but in my circumstances it was less burdensome to meet the embassy’s documentation requirements for the non-CoE route.

Looking at the London embassy’s website now the wording has changed to make the non-CoE route an exception requiring dialogue with the embassy:
In principle, applicants should submit an application with a Certificate of Eligibility.
However, in cases where it is difficult to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, such as cases where the Japanese spouse, parent or any other relative is not living in Japan, please contact the visa desk in advance to check whether it may be possible to apply without a Certificate of Eligibility.
https://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/ ... 00074.html

Should similar rules/processes apply in your location, having dialogue with the Japanese Consulate in your location about the non-CoE route may be worthwhile, as it sounds like you meet the (London, March 2024) criteria for consideration for the non-CoE route since both you and your spouse currently reside outside Japan.

(I appreciate you mention they haven’t given definitive answers to date, but with a specific question about the possibility of applying without a CoE, they may yet provide a specific answer, unless it is on this specific point they have already failed you!)

Hopefully there are others on the forum who have been through the process more recently who can reply on this thread.
Yatsushiro2
Regular

Post by Yatsushiro2 »

captainspoke wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:08 pm Did you get married here--registering the marriage at a city office as would normally happen? I've heard that simplifies/streamlines the spouse visa.

That's the only bit that I can offer--good luck!
Yes, our marriage is registered in Japan and I am in my wife's "family tree" at the local town office.

I do hope you are right that this will simplify things. Thank you!
Yatsushiro2
Regular

Post by Yatsushiro2 »

kuma wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:51 pm I applied for a spouse visa at the Japanese Embassy in London (UK) in 2017.

At that time there was the option to apply without a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE). It seemed that applicants were being steered towards the CoE route but in my circumstances it was less burdensome to meet the embassy’s documentation requirements for the non-CoE route.

Looking at the London embassy’s website now the wording has changed to make the non-CoE route an exception requiring dialogue with the embassy:
In principle, applicants should submit an application with a Certificate of Eligibility.
However, in cases where it is difficult to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, such as cases where the Japanese spouse, parent or any other relative is not living in Japan, please contact the visa desk in advance to check whether it may be possible to apply without a Certificate of Eligibility.
https://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/ ... 00074.html

Should similar rules/processes apply in your location, having dialogue with the Japanese Consulate in your location about the non-CoE route may be worthwhile, as it sounds like you meet the (London, March 2024) criteria for consideration for the non-CoE route since both you and your spouse currently reside outside Japan.

(I appreciate you mention they haven’t given definitive answers to date, but with a specific question about the possibility of applying without a CoE, they may yet provide a specific answer, unless it is on this specific point they have already failed you!)

Hopefully there are others on the forum who have been through the process more recently who can reply on this thread.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Very helpful, indeed.

We will ask about the non-CoE route for sure. It really does feel more and more like it is not possible for us to apply for a CoE when we are both living in Canada. I should note that our local Consolate's default response to everything is to call Immigration in Japan. The local staff really have no interest in being helpful. They've truly embraced the Canadian work ethic and exemplify the typical level of service in Canada.

I suspect the solution will be to have all the paperwork, etc. filled out and packaged up, then move there on a visitor visa and mail the CoE application immediately after arrival.

What we want to avoid, obviously, is the situation where we are waiting for my CoE / Spousal Visa and my 90 days runs out.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Yatsushiro2 wrote: [/color]8 user_id=3768]

We will ask about the non-CoE route for sure. It really does feel more and more like it is not possible for us to apply for a CoE when we are both living in Canada. I should note that our local Consolate's default response to everything is to call Immigration in Japan. The local staff really have no interest in being helpful. They've truly embraced the Canadian work ethic and exemplify the typical level of service in Canada.
This seems like the most logical course of action. Did you follow their advice? They are not equipped to give this level of immigration advice any more than the Canadian consulate in Tokyo is to perspective immigrants. It is not their main function.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

You don't need to go the Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) route for a Spouse Visa, though you can if you want to...
https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/vis ... isa10.html

"A visa application for this type of visa could be made without COE. However, the applicant will be required to submit a large amount of verification documents and it could take a long time (several months) to process."

(Like, they are not the same docs as you have to submit and duration for the CoE ??? ;-) but you won't be able to officially work until you get your Spouse Visa.)

The CoE is required for other types of visa applications, such as Student Visa, Highly Skilled Worker Visa and Working Visa applications, etc..

As a Spouse of a Japanese National and eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, you can travel to Japan on the Visa Waiver and get permission to stay for 90 Days (3 months).

You can then go to immigration, and submit your application for the Spouse Visa.

Make sure you bring all the necessary docs and then some, so that you have everything you need to submit the application.

Once you have a place to live, you can Register Moving-In at the local City Hall, and start paying Health Insurance and Pension Premiums.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/vis ... ovisa.html
Canadians are not entitled to extend their Permission to Stay in country (no Note #8), but can do so by leaving Japan and re-entering Japan on a new Visa Waiver for another 90 Days (another 3 months, total 6 months), without issue. (and probably again, if necesssary...)
Your Passport should be stamped with 'Application in Process', but if you need to, you can go on a quick trip and come back...

If all the paperwork is in order, your Spouse Visa should be granted within 90 days ("several months" above), and you can just go to the local Immigration Office to collect the Zairu Card, without having to leave the country.

You can register for the Automated Gates at the same time.
https://www.moj.go.jp/isa/publications/ ... html?hl=en
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Yatsushiro2
Regular

Post by Yatsushiro2 »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:59 am
Yatsushiro2 wrote: [/color]8 user_id=3768]

This seems like the most logical course of action. Did you follow their advice? They are not equipped to give this level of immigration advice any more than the Canadian consulate in Tokyo is to perspective immigrants. It is not their main function.
Yes. My wife tried calling 3 times previously with spotty response. However, just last evening she finally got someone on the phone who was extremely helpful. He confirmed that applying for CoE while we are both in Canada is not possible. He also offered a "tip" to my wife that there is a way to apply directly for the Spouse Visa (non-CoE method) but we would need to ask for a special exception from our local Consolate, and the process would take a long time. Based on our experience with the local Consolate, we have decided to wait and apply after arriving in Japan.
Yatsushiro2
Regular

Post by Yatsushiro2 »

Tkydon wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:19 am You don't need to go the Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) route for a Spouse Visa, though you can if you want to...
https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/vis ... isa10.html

"A visa application for this type of visa could be made without COE. However, the applicant will be required to submit a large amount of verification documents and it could take a long time (several months) to process."

(Like, they are not the same docs as you have to submit and duration for the CoE ??? ;-) but you won't be able to officially work until you get your Spouse Visa.)

The CoE is required for other types of visa applications, such as Student Visa, Highly Skilled Worker Visa and Working Visa applications, etc..

As a Spouse of a Japanese National and eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, you can travel to Japan on the Visa Waiver and get permission to stay for 90 Days (3 months).

You can then go to immigration, and submit your application for the Spouse Visa.

Make sure you bring all the necessary docs and then some, so that you have everything you need to submit the application.

Once you have a place to live, you can Register Moving-In at the local City Hall, and start paying Health Insurance and Pension Premiums.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/vis ... ovisa.html
Canadians are not entitled to extend their Permission to Stay in country (no Note #8), but can do so by leaving Japan and re-entering Japan on a new Visa Waiver for another 90 Days (another 3 months, total 6 months), without issue. (and probably again, if necesssary...)
Your Passport should be stamped with 'Application in Process', but if you need to, you can go on a quick trip and come back...

If all the paperwork is in order, your Spouse Visa should be granted within 90 days ("several months" above), and you can just go to the local Immigration Office to collect the Zairu Card, without having to leave the country.

You can register for the Automated Gates at the same time.
https://www.moj.go.jp/isa/publications/ ... html?hl=en
Thanks so much for the detailed response! This 100% confirms the conclusion that my wife and I have come to over the past 24 hours or so. We'll prepare ALL the paperwork, etc. before we leave Canada and then visit the Immigration office in Kumamoto City as soon as possible after we arrive in Japan. We'll be moving directly into our new home, so we can Register Moving-In at the local City Hall right away as well.

It is a bit of a relief that we can reduce our focus on this issue for now, because we have so many other things to juggle (buying a home in Japan remotely, moving money to Japan to pay for the home, arranging to travel to Japan with our dog, selling most of our stuff in Canada, packing and shipping the rest to Japan, etc. etc.).