Well, this is a wild ride (just muttering to my n00b self)

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
CluelessToshika
Regular

Well, this is a wild ride (just muttering to my n00b self)

Post by CluelessToshika »

After taking the plunge with this whole investing malarkey a couple of weeks back, I've been logging in every day to see how things are going (yes I know I should be doing "fire and forget", but being new to all this, I want to get a sense of what's going on) and after some encouraging initial gains on the "portfolio" (mostly eMaxis S&P and world) it was all in the red (or blue, dunno why SBI show losses as blue and gains as red), today it's just about back into positive territory. I'm well aware that this is a long game, but I can see how people get cold feet with this stuff.

Anyway, just venting :D, it's great that I've actually got to this point, my thanks to Ben/RetireJapan and everyone else contributing to the community :).
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Well, this is a wild ride (just muttering to my n00b self)

Post by RetireJapan »

I only look once a month now to update my spreadsheet, so don't notice the ups and downs any more :D
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

I update my PA investments once a year, in January. No need to check any more often, in fact it’s better not to I feel.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

CluelessToshika wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:18 am ...dunno why SBI show losses as blue and gains as red
Red is a Lucky Color in Asia - All the Red Temples and Shrines...

If you ask 'Copy Lot'...

why does Japan show gains in red and losses in green/blue?
Copilot
In Japan, the convention of using red for gains and green or blue for losses is different from the standard color scheme used in some other countries. Let’s explore why:

Cultural Influence:
Traditionally, in Japanese culture, red is associated with positive aspects, such as prosperity, good fortune, and celebration.
Conversely, green and blue are often linked to negative aspects, like sickness or death.
This cultural context influences the choice of colors in various contexts, including financial charts and stock market displays.
Historical Factors:
Japan has a long history of using red ink for financial records.
In the past, merchants and traders would record profits and gains in red ink, symbolizing success.
On the other hand, losses were recorded in black ink, signifying caution and the need for improvement.
Over time, this practice extended to modern financial reporting and stock market displays.
Stock Market Tradition:
Japanese stock market charts and financial news outlets continue to follow this tradition.
When displaying stock prices, rising prices (gains) are typically shown in red, while falling prices (losses) are displayed in green or blue.
This color scheme is consistent across various financial platforms and publications in Japan.
Contrast and Visibility:
Using contrasting colors (like red and green/blue) makes it easier for investors and traders to quickly identify positive and negative movements.
The distinct colors help draw attention to changes in stock prices, aiding decision-making.
In summary, the use of red for gains and green/blue for losses in Japan is deeply rooted in cultural and historical factors, and it remains a consistent practice in financial reporting and stock market visuals. 📈📉

Then if for ask the same Q for China...
why does China show gains in red and losses in green/blue?

Copilot
In mainland China, as well as in Taiwan and Japan, the convention for stock market displays is to use red to represent gains and green or black to represent losses. Let’s delve into the reasons behind this color scheme:

Cultural Significance:
Red holds immense cultural significance in China. It symbolizes good fortune, prosperity, and joy.
Traditionally, red is associated with celebrations, festivals, and positive events.
Therefore, using red to denote rising share prices aligns with this cultural context.
Historical Influence:
In the past, Chinese merchants and traders used red ink to record profits and successful transactions.
This practice of using red for gains has persisted over time and extended to modern stock market displays.
The historical association of red with financial success contributes to its use in stock market visuals.
Visual Clarity and Attention:
Using contrasting colors like red and green/blue ensures that investors can quickly differentiate between positive and negative movements.
The distinct colors draw attention to changes in stock prices, aiding decision-making.
Alternative Practices:
In other countries, such as the United States, green typically represents gains, while red signifies losses.
However, China’s unique color scheme reflects its cultural context and historical practices.
In summary, the use of red for gains and green/blue for losses in China’s stock markets is deeply rooted in cultural symbolism and historical traditions. 📈🔴📉
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

In terms of our personal assets, I'm somewhere in between RetireJapan and Deep Blue: I check four times a year, every quarter-end.
In the terms of the markets, I'm still in the habit of checking every day. A throwback from my trading days I guess :( They never concern me though, it's just out of interest.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

CluelessToshika wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:18 am After taking the plunge with this whole investing malarkey a couple of weeks back, I've been logging in every day to see how things are going (yes I know I should be doing "fire and forget", but being new to all this, I want to get a sense of what's going on) and after some encouraging initial gains on the "portfolio" (mostly eMaxis S&P and world) it was all in the red (or blue, dunno why SBI show losses as blue and gains as red), today it's just about back into positive territory. I'm well aware that this is a long game, but I can see how people get cold feet with this stuff.

Anyway, just venting :D, it's great that I've actually got to this point, my thanks to Ben/RetireJapan and everyone else contributing to the community :).
The beauty of Dollar (Yen) Cost Averaging is that as the price goes down, the units you already own go down in value ;-(
but for the same monthly contribution, you buy more Units at a lower Unit Price, bringing down the Average Price of all the Units you own ;-)

For a regular contribution of Y10,000

@ Price 1,000, you buy 10 Units
@ Price 1,100, you only buy 9 Units
@ Price 900, you buy 11 Units
@ Price 800, you buy 12.5 Units
@ Price 700, you buy 14.25 Units
@ Price 600, you buy 16.5 Units

So, you now own 142 Units for which you paid Y120,000, for an average price per unit of only Y845

and the more you buy at lower prices, the lower your average price will become...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
CluelessToshika
Regular

Tkydon wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:10 am
CluelessToshika wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:18 am ...dunno why SBI show losses as blue and gains as red
Red is a Lucky Color in Asia - All the Red Temples and Shrines...

If you ask 'Copy Lot'...

why does Japan show gains in red and losses in green/blue?
Copilot
In Japan, the convention of using red for gains and green or blue for losses is different from the standard color scheme used in some other countries. Let’s explore why:

Cultural Influence:
Traditionally, in Japanese culture, red is associated with positive aspects, such as prosperity, good fortune, and celebration.
Conversely, green and blue are often linked to negative aspects, like sickness or death.
This cultural context influences the choice of colors in various contexts, including financial charts and stock market displays.
Historical Factors:
Japan has a long history of using red ink for financial records.
In the past, merchants and traders would record profits and gains in red ink, symbolizing success.
On the other hand, losses were recorded in black ink, signifying caution and the need for improvement.
Over time, this practice extended to modern financial reporting and stock market displays.
Stock Market Tradition:
Japanese stock market charts and financial news outlets continue to follow this tradition.
When displaying stock prices, rising prices (gains) are typically shown in red, while falling prices (losses) are displayed in green or blue.
This color scheme is consistent across various financial platforms and publications in Japan.
Contrast and Visibility:
Using contrasting colors (like red and green/blue) makes it easier for investors and traders to quickly identify positive and negative movements.
The distinct colors help draw attention to changes in stock prices, aiding decision-making.
In summary, the use of red for gains and green/blue for losses in Japan is deeply rooted in cultural and historical factors, and it remains a consistent practice in financial reporting and stock market visuals. 📈📉
(...)
Thanks, learn something new every day. I mean, I'm sure I must have the colour usage in the context of Japanese financial markets but never actively registered it, until the numbers in question were my own.
CluelessToshika
Regular

Tkydon wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:27 am
CluelessToshika wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:18 am After taking the plunge with this whole investing malarkey a couple of weeks back, I've been logging in every day to see how things are going (yes I know I should be doing "fire and forget", but being new to all this, I want to get a sense of what's going on) and after some encouraging initial gains on the "portfolio" (mostly eMaxis S&P and world) it was all in the red (or blue, dunno why SBI show losses as blue and gains as red), today it's just about back into positive territory. I'm well aware that this is a long game, but I can see how people get cold feet with this stuff.

The beauty of Dollar (Yen) Cost Averaging is that as the price goes down, the units you already own go down in value ;-(
but for the same monthly contribution, you buy more Units at a lower Unit Price, bringing down the Average Price of all the Units you own ;-)

For a regular contribution of Y10,000

@ Price 1,100, you only buy 9 Units
@ Price 600, you buy 16.5 Units

So, you now own 142 Units for which you paid Y120,000, for an average price per unit of only Y845

and the more you buy at lower prices, the lower your average price will become...
Aha, thanks, that is an interesting way of looking at it, I seem to have missed that on my crash flail through this stuff.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Just buy when you can, try to make it a habit, and you will be fine.
I also look at my portfolio too regularly, but I don't mess about with it.
Time is your main weapon, as I am sure you know.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Yatsushiro2
Regular

Post by Yatsushiro2 »

beanhead wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:56 pm Time is your main weapon, as I am sure you know.
"Time in the market, not timing the market".

I forget where I heard this.