Ordinarily Resident of the UK

Bushiman
Veteran

Re: Ordinarily Resident of the UK

Post by Bushiman »

adamu wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:53 pmThis is probably going to disqualify you for class 2 unfortunately.
:cry:

Good lord... In the back of my mind I sort of guessed I'd be Class 3, I was just praying for a glimmer or hope... Those back-payments will hurt a little, but from what I've read here, even the Class 3 repayments are worth it in the end...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

adamu wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:03 pm
Bushiman wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:14 am At the time I left the UK, I would've had to say 'yes'. But 15years later, surely the answer is 'no'...?
Sound like a no to me.
Although it's counterintuitive the answer should surely be 'yes' because it says on the form, "When you tell us your ‘ordinarily resident’ status you must base this on your circumstances at the time you left the UK." This is probably true for most people following this and other threads on this issue. I mean, I guess most of us are Brits who grew up in the UK then at some point fled east.

I'm filling in the form right now.

I think the main point to be able to get those lovely Class 2's (instead of the less lovely Class 3's) is we should have been working in Blighty 'immediately' before we left.

Anyone see any flaws in my reasoning?
https://www.kyushujourneys.com/
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

KyushuWoozy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:20 am Although it's counterintuitive the answer should surely be 'yes' because it says on the form, "When you tell us your ‘ordinarily resident’ status you must base this on your circumstances at the time you left the UK."
Good point. I checked my records and I said no to that, although it looks like that may have been the wrong answer. I did also include a cover letter explaining all of my details. Anyway I think this question is only used if you need to pay Class 1 for a year, which is definitely something you wouldn't want to do!
KyushuWoozy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:20 amI think the main point to be able to get those lovely Class 2's (instead of the less lovely Class 3's) is we should have been working in Blighty 'immediately' before we left.
There seem to be three requirements: 1) Was working immediately before leaving 2) Have paid NI for a number of years (can't remember exactly the details of this now) 3) Are working abroad for a foreign employer.
Last edited by adamu on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

I sent my forms today...
I ticked the 'no' box just because the very first line on the NI38 .pdf says:

I have though, on the cover letter written out my situation with bullet points as to why I would/would not be classed as Ordinarily Resident of the UK.
They'll figure it out... Ha!

Now if only the poor employee dealing with my paperwork slips-up and authorises me for Class 2 NICs... Fingers crossed!
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

adamu wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:23 am
KyushuWoozy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:20 amI think the main point to be able to get those lovely Class 2's (instead of the less lovely Class 3's) is we should have been working in Blighty 'immediately' before we left.
There seem to be three requirements: 1) Was working immediately before leaving 2) Have paid NI for a number of years (can't remember exactly the details of this now) 3) Are working abroad for a foreign employer.
How about for #3 being self-employed abroad? Any idea?

Currently I'm struggling through this at the moment:

• names and addresses of your employer(s) overseas
• the date each employment started and ended
• the country you were working in
• names and addresses of any UK employer(s) between overseas employment
• the date each UK employment started and ended
• the dates of paid or unpaid leave in the UK or overseas
• the names and dates of any benefit you claimed in the UK between overseas employment

Wish I'd been a better record keeper and/or less of a drifter :cry:
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

KyushuWoozy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:34 am Currently I'm struggling through this at the moment:

• names and addresses of your employer(s) overseas
• the date each employment started and ended
• the country you were working in
• names and addresses of any UK employer(s) between overseas employment
• the date each UK employment started and ended
• the dates of paid or unpaid leave in the UK or overseas
• the names and dates of any benefit you claimed in the UK between overseas employment

Wish I'd been a better record keeper and/or less of a drifter :cry:
:lol: For this I went back through old passports to find the dates I'd traveled to that country...
My employment pretty much correlated with those arrival/departure dates...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

I'm thinking of applying for class 2s and have had a brief look at the form. What do you put for How long are you going to be abroad? if you have no idea and it could very well be permanent?

Also, I worked in the UK, then worked in Japan, then worked in the UK and then back to Japan where I have been for pretty much twenty continuous years. Think it will matter if I just put my dates coming here as the start of that second period of living in Japan? I have 8 years full years NI paid (somehow - not sure why but I think your university years count) and in amongst those eight is a three year continuous period of paying. Also was employed directly before coming out to Japan both times, so hoping I can qualify.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:00 am What do you put for How long are you going to be abroad? if you have no idea and it could very well be permanent?
Personally, I wrote that I may return after retirement, or I may not... Can't be any more specific than that if you don't really know...
goodandbadjapan wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:00 amThink it will matter if I just put my dates coming here as the start of that second period of living in Japan?
I'd probably guess that was fine... Especially if you were paying NIC during that time in the UK -they'll have all that on record. It seems we can only back pay to 2006 anyway... I personally wish that was longer seeing as the yearly fee for Class 3 back in the early 2000's was around £200 cheaper than now... Boohoo...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:00 am Also was employed directly before coming out to Japan both times, so hoping I can qualify.
As I understand it, to be able to qualify for Class 2 you need not only to have been employed directly before coming out but also have started a job here within a week of arriving. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I've read this on a couple of other forums.
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

KyushuWoozy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:20 am
goodandbadjapan wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:00 am Also was employed directly before coming out to Japan both times, so hoping I can qualify.
As I understand it, to be able to qualify for Class 2 you need not only to have been employed directly before coming out but also have started a job here within a week of arriving. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I've read this on a couple of other forums.
Hadn't heard that rule, but think I'm okay with that. Have completed the form and will send tomorrow and then no doubt wait for months on end before I hear anything!