Ordinarily Resident of the UK

adamu
Sage

Re: Ordinarily Resident of the UK

Post by adamu »

KyushuWoozy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:20 am also have started a job here within a week of arriving. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I've read this on a couple of other forums.
This is not the case. In fact, I was charged class 3 for the period up until I got a job, and then class 2 from then onwards.
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

Thanks. It's good info to add to our huge pot on this issue.
https://www.kyushujourneys.com/
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Now that I've resigned myself to likely having to pay Class 3 contributions, my biggest worry is the time it takes for HMRC to reply. Here on RetireJapan, people are saying as quick as 3.5months and up to 7 months!? Good lord... I really need to backpay the last 12yrs. If they don't reply before April, then I'm bang out of luck.... I wish I'd known about all this earlier... Anyway, my application went in the post last week, so fingers crossed.
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
JapaneseMike
Veteran

Post by JapaneseMike »

I wouldn't worry too much about the delay. Taking action to apply now will be a much better use of your time than worrying about the potential delay when you do :-)
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

Bushiman wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:59 am Now that I've resigned myself to likely having to pay Class 3 contributions, my biggest worry is the time it takes for HMRC to reply. Here on RetireJapan, people are saying as quick as 3.5months and up to 7 months!? Good lord... I really need to backpay the last 12yrs. If they don't reply before April, then I'm bang out of luck.... I wish I'd known about all this earlier... Anyway, my application went in the post last week, so fingers crossed.
I'm in the same boat - have just sent off the form and if I can backpay 9 years will qualify for full pension. But even if we can't make the 35 year limit as long as we have ten years payments we will qualify for something!
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

Bushiman wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:59 am Now that I've resigned myself to likely having to pay Class 3 contributions, my biggest worry is the time it takes for HMRC to reply. If they don't reply before April, then I'm bang out of luck
What happens in April?
https://www.kyushujourneys.com/
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

KyushuWoozy wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:38 amWhat happens in April?
It goes back to the usual maximum of 6yrs of possible backpaying... It was increased to 12. And, I think I was reading somewhere, the yearly cost will increase -so it would be nicer to get 12yrs paid at the cheaper rates...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Bushiman wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:59 am Now that I've resigned myself to likely having to pay Class 3 contributions...
Came home to a brown envelope from HMRC today...
The heart started racing, sweat beads gathered on my brow...
You can see why from my last correspondence with HMRC (See the 4th post down.)

Opened it up and it was a confirmation letter to start Direct Debit monthly payments from this May, and that they were also going to take £115.05 to cover NI contributions due from 08/04/18 to 05/01/19... Now, that sounded way too cheap... There is nothing on the 3 page letter to say what class of repayments l had been deemed eligible for, so I phoned them up...
Unbelievably, I have been asked to make Class 2 repayments! I'm so happy! Now to chase them up about backpaying...

A big thanks to the RetireJapan community for giving me the information and motivation to apply... Not just for the UK pension, but my iDeco and NISA are also up and running thanks to this site...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

That is great news, congratulations! Always nice to hear about positive outcomes :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Good news, although the requirements for class two aren't any clearer in my mind. At least we know it's possible to get class two with a break in work before moving abroad, despite the advice to the contrary. I wonder if the fact you were studying before leaving had any effect.