Ordinarily Resident of the UK

Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: Ordinarily Resident of the UK

Post by Beaglehound »

KCLenny wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:19 am So what exactly are we supposed to put for the “ordinarily resident” part?
I’m just filling out the form now, and have no idea. I’ve lived continuously in Japan for 2 years, have no intention of returning to the uk. Before moving here I was at university in uk for 3 years whilst also working part time. Before that I was on a student visa in Japan for 15 months or so. Before that working full time in uk for 1 year. Then before that I was on a working holiday visa in Japan for 1 year. Then before that working full time and part time jobs for about 5 years.
According to my hmrc record I have 7 full years of contributions.
So am I ordinarily resident in uk? I don’t really want to call them up as way too costly. Should I just leave it blank with a letter explaining the situation I just described?
I wouldn’t bother calling, the answer you get will depend who you talk to, and that won’t be the person reading the form. I am sure I answered ‘No’ and was approved for class 2s. Though after reading through this thread I concluded that I was probably ordinarily resident based on my situation when I left the U.K. Maybe answer ‘Yes’ as that was the case at the time you left the U.K.?
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Beaglehound wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:45 am
KCLenny wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:19 am So what exactly are we supposed to put for the “ordinarily resident” part?
I’m just filling out the form now, and have no idea. I’ve lived continuously in Japan for 2 years, have no intention of returning to the uk. Before moving here I was at university in uk for 3 years whilst also working part time. Before that I was on a student visa in Japan for 15 months or so. Before that working full time in uk for 1 year. Then before that I was on a working holiday visa in Japan for 1 year. Then before that working full time and part time jobs for about 5 years.
According to my hmrc record I have 7 full years of contributions.
So am I ordinarily resident in uk? I don’t really want to call them up as way too costly. Should I just leave it blank with a letter explaining the situation I just described?
I wouldn’t bother calling, the answer you get will depend who you talk to, and that won’t be the person reading the form. I am sure I answered ‘No’ and was approved for class 2s. Though after reading through this thread I concluded that I was probably ordinarily resident based on my situation when I left the U.K. Maybe answer ‘Yes’ as that was the case at the time you left the U.K.?
Would it not be better to leave it blank and a letter explaining my situation so they can decide when they get my form rather than putting potentially wrong answer?
I honestly don’t know.
Really want class 2, because that I can afford. Class 3 I can’t.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

I really don’t think it matters whether you tick yes or no, but personally I wouldn’t leave it blank. Leaving questions blank invites them sending it back to you, and you don’t want that.

Whichever one you tick, I don’t think it affects the class 2 or 3 decision. As Adamu says early in the thread (post 14 or so) it’s probably important if you are posted abroad temporarily by your company as a means of deciding what kind of NICs you should pay, but in your situation it should not have any impact.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

I put 'No'...
15yrs (at the time) living in Japan, family, house etc. all here...
Wrote a cover letter explaining why I'd put 'No'...
Got accepted to pay Class 2 contributions...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

There seem to be three requirements: 1) Was working immediately before leaving 2) Have paid NI for a number of years (can't remember exactly the details of this now) 3) Are working abroad for a foreign employer.
[/quote]

regarding this what were you doing immediately before leaving uk?question-i was a uni student with a part time job..
(meant to come for 2 yrs but still here 25yrs and 3kids laterthough that is a diff story!)

anyway,can i mark on the form that i was employed before moving to japan and thus apply for class 2?
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

also ,i tried to ck my ni contributions by using gov gateway.as suggested on here.however i could not do it as needed a credit check (which didnt work) or a NI driving license as a second piece of identity proof..
any ideas on how to get round this issue?
thanks
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

bryanc wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:44 am also ,i tried to ck my ni contributions by using gov gateway.as suggested on here.however i could not do it as needed a credit check (which didnt work) or a NI driving license as a second piece of identity proof..
any ideas on how to get round this issue?
thanks
A few others have run into this issue:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1587&hilit=gateway

Only way to get the forecast is to call and get them to send it to you. There is a number in the State Pension Forecast section of the gov website if I remember correctly.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

i called the future pension centre and they are going to send me it by post..
i was trying to find out about any contributions i had made and they said for a breakdown need to contact HMRC..
So i contacted them and it seems i have made contributions -though they wouldnt tell me when and where..
little bit surprised as only a part time job ,but seems might help me to get into class 2...
they told me to submit the form with a covering letter-i dont really remember when and exactly where i worked
but they said they have details ....

just info in case anyone else is looking to do a similar thing..
presume will take a long time but will advise on outcome
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

bryanc wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:42 am
regarding this what were you doing immediately before leaving uk?question-i was a uni student with a part time job..
(meant to come for 2 yrs but still here 25yrs and 3kids laterthough that is a diff story!)

anyway,can i mark on the form that i was employed before moving to japan and thus apply for class 2?
I was working part time as a uni' student, then quit to study for the final exams... Came to Japan 2 months after those final exams...
Applied for Class 2, got denied for failing to meet all the requirements, applied again, got accepted...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

I was at uni full time for the 3 years before coming to Japan, but was also working part time, at one point working 2 part time jobs. 4 years before moving to Japan I was living in Japan on a student visa for a year. And before that I was working full time in the uk. Have something like 7 years full contributions. Applied for class 2. Just waiting for a response (ps what’s the response time like usually? Posted my application last week Monday).