Japan mortgage lenders allowing renting?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
kokubenji
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Japan mortgage lenders allowing renting?

Post by kokubenji »

Hello,
I have a specific challenge and wonder if anyone here has any advice.

Along with my Japanese partner, we own a house in West Tokyo where we live with young family However, I have a too good to turn down job offer overseas that is attractive enough to do for a few years with the aim of coming back to Japan later. However, we have a fairly large mortgage, so would like to be able to rent out the house in order to pay part of the mortgage, but it seems to be impossible to find a lender that would allow renting if you are overseas.

Does anyone know of a lender who might do this? Is there are such a thing as mortgage broker for non vanilla mortgage arrangements in Japan?
Of course, we would expect to pay higher interest rates

In case that is relevant, we are married Japanese national an PR UK citizen,
We understand that tenants rights are strong, that the mortgage rate will be higher and rental income will be taxed at 20.42% and it might not be viable, but we want to find this out for sure.
Thanks in advance, and for reading this far!
B.
Nancy
Regular

Re: Japan mortgage lenders allowing renting?

Post by Nancy »

Hi, On this website, I saw this bank mentioned.
https://en.sekaiproperty.com/article/34 ... -residents

UOB (United Overseas Bank)
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: Japan mortgage lenders allowing renting?

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

kokubenji wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:55 am Hello,
I have a specific challenge and wonder if anyone here has any advice.

Along with my Japanese partner, we own a house in West Tokyo where we live with young family However, I have a too good to turn down job offer overseas that is attractive enough to do for a few years with the aim of coming back to Japan later. However, we have a fairly large mortgage, so would like to be able to rent out the house in order to pay part of the mortgage, but it seems to be impossible to find a lender that would allow renting if you are overseas.

Does anyone know of a lender who might do this? Is there are such a thing as mortgage broker for non vanilla mortgage arrangements in Japan?
Of course, we would expect to pay higher interest rates

In case that is relevant, we are married Japanese national an PR UK citizen,
We understand that tenants rights are strong, that the mortgage rate will be higher and rental income will be taxed at 20.42% and it might not be viable, but we want to find this out for sure.
Thanks in advance, and for reading this far!
B.
How many years are you into the mortgage repayments? If you are still getting the mortgage tax credit, it might get complicated because you have to file your yearly tax return to get it.