Flying to Ireland

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
concerned
Veteran

Flying to Ireland

Post by concerned »

Hi All,
Plan to fly with my wife and 5 year old to the Ireland in around Sept timeframe this year.
It will be my first time flying international with my daughter. Last time I looked flights are pretty expensive..
Just wondering what others are doing to reduce costs? I guess I cannot go with the cheapest non-refundable tickets as if my daughter gets sick before we depart I will need to cancel at short notice...so will need to get tickets that I can cancel.
Anyone have any tips, recommended sites to books international tickets? Or best book direct with the Airline?
Does booking 5 months in advance, or 1 month in advance make any difference to price? Hopefully I do not need to pay full fare for my Daughter.

I see on the retire Japan TV it was mentioned that doing a stop-over in say Dubai can reduce costs.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Flying to Ireland

Post by RetireJapan »

I find booking directly with the airline is a good way to avoid issues where the booking company and the airline both refuse to take responsibility to fix problems ;)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Booking directly with airline is good advice.

Google Flights or ITA Matrix will show you what is out there.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search

Buying travel/cancellation insurance is also smart (assuming your credit card doesn't already offer it).

The Middle Eastern airlines can be good deals, but the total travel and times are longer.

The Chinese airlines may offer the best prices.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

First things first, you are doing the right thing in flying at September instead of August. It is not just flights that will be cheaper, but hotels and events will be off peak prices, too. Also the weather isn't that bad, still catch the tail end of the summer. I have fond memories of taking my two kids back to the UK for a month, when they were nursery age in September. They are both teenagers now and the only possible time to take them coordinating with club activities and cram school is the middle of August.... $$$$ :cry:
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

I flew at Christmas and took the view that it was worth paying a bit more for a ticket that could be cancelled just in case. I booked with Emirates on their website, from Narita to Dubai To Glasgow. As it happens my wife did have to cancel and getting the refund for her was incredibly easy and painless. At first I thought an 11ish hour flight followed by a 7ish one sounded awful, but I flew at night and found it no worse (possibly better) than my usual long flight to Heathrow and then just an hour to Glasgow. It was my first time with Emirates and everything about it was good (they even upgraded me on the first leg!)
gaijin86
Regular

Post by gaijin86 »

I've just come to Europe on KLM. Amsterdam is one of the better airports for changing. However, all the direct flights to Europe now are IMO too long (14+ hours).

So I would recommend going via the middle east -- Qatar or Ethiad (There is also Emirates which is usually a bit more expensive, but is good if you want to spend a day or 2 in Dubai). I dont know about Turkish. Any of these are cheaper than the direct flights (although multi-stop options via China would be cheapest).

For the middle east option, the flights are 9hrs + then 7hrs or so to Dublin. You could spend a night in a hotel near your stopover airport; otherwise find a good spot in the airport for a short sleep (google "sleeping in airport" for whichever place you choose).

Some of these airlines allow you to choose which type of ticket you want, i.e., a flexible one that you can change, or a refundable one. Of course you pay a bit more for those.
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

Thanks! Everyone for your replies on this topic, appreciate it.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Regarding the Middle East routings:

* Etihad (based in Abu Dhabi, UAE) usually have layover/stopover deals; free or half price or discounted hotel stays. We flew with them (to/from the UK) in 2022 with a layover outbound (sub-24-hours stop, so luggage was checked all the way through) and a stopover inbound and were very happy. In my opinion, desert safaris are much better in Abu Dhabi than Dubai.

* Emirates rightly has a great reputation. Check out if they have deals too. Plenty to do in Dubai on a stopover. Variable immigration queues at DXB in my experience.

* Qatar has an incredible codeshare network and reasonable prices. General note (not necessarily for OP, but for anyone reading): marriage certificates are technically required for couples staying in the same room in hotels in Qatar, though Reddit will tell you this isn’t always enforced.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

kuma wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:58 am General note (not necessarily for OP, but for anyone reading): marriage certificates are technically required for couples staying in the same room in hotels in Qatar, though Reddit will tell you this isn’t always enforced.
Even if they have the same surname?
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Deep Blue wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:56 am
kuma wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:58 am General note (not necessarily for OP, but for anyone reading): marriage certificates are technically required for couples staying in the same room in hotels in Qatar, though Reddit will tell you this isn’t always enforced.
Even if they have the same surname?
Yes.