Do you use ChatGPT or similar tools?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Do you use ChatGPT or similar tools?

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

(Sorry if this topic is not appropriate for the board. Feel free to delete if it's inappropriate.)

Do you use ChatGPT or similar tools, either for work or outside of work? If so, what for?
I'm trying to find ways I can make better day-to-day use of these, but I'm struggling so I thought it might help to learn from others' examples.
adamu
Sage

Re: Do you use ChatGPT or similar tools?

Post by adamu »

I mostly use it to rewrite things in pirate voices
AreTheyTheLemmings? wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:37 am Arrr, me matey! Do ye be usin' ChatGPT or akin tools, whether it be for yer toil or frolickin' about? If so, what be yer aim? I be tryin' to figure out how to best deploy these scallywags in me day-to-day, but it be a rough sea I'm navigatin'. Thought I'd seek guidance from the tales of others who've tread these waters afore me.
It does poetry too
ChatGPT wrote:Amidst the market's ever-shifting tides,
Where fortunes rise and fall like ocean's swell,
Index funds stand as stalwart guides,
In humble growth, they weave their silent spell.

With thrift and care, we stash our golden hoard,
In coffers vast, our future dreams secure,
Through diligent hands, our wealth's restored,
Each coin a beacon, steadfast and sure.

In online realms, our kin we find anew,
A fellowship of kindred spirits bold,
Together charting courses, tried and true,
In wisdom's halls, our futures we unfold.

And when the twilight of our days draw near,
In Japan's embrace, we'll find our harbor clear.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I've used Chat GPT3.5 and Gemini a bit to brainstorm and draft things, summarise, etc.

It's been useful to make teaching materials, but I haven't found it revolutionary yet.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Thanks for responding. Would it be a hassle if I asked you to elaborate?

For instance...
RetireJapan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:07 am I've used Chat GPT3.5 and Gemini a bit to brainstorm and draft things, summarise, etc.
What kind of prompts have you used for this?

And...
RetireJapan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:07 am It's been useful to make teaching materials
Again, what kind of prompts have you used?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

AreTheyTheLemmings? wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:11 am Thanks for responding. Would it be a hassle if I asked you to elaborate?

For instance...
RetireJapan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:07 am I've used Chat GPT3.5 and Gemini a bit to brainstorm and draft things, summarise, etc.
What kind of prompts have you used for this?

And...
RetireJapan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:07 am It's been useful to make teaching materials
Again, what kind of prompts have you used?
Nothing in particular. Stuff like 'write a 200-word article about insects that Japanese junior high school 3rd grade learners of English could understand', or 'summarise this text in 150 words', 'make it easier to read', etc.

Asking it to modify its output seems to be more effective.

I've also been using ChatGPT to help me slow cook various meats, giving me the cooking time and temperature, internal temperature etc. On a smartphone the dictation function is really useful.

*it's pretty useless for RetireJapan at the moment because it makes so many mistakes and seems to just use US source material for information
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Thanks! Anyone else? What do you use it for?
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

I used it to do my daughters history homework once.

A couple of my friends use it for coding.

Another friend uses it to keigo up formal Japanese communications.

Someone else uses it for covering letters for job applications.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

I use it as my IT help desk.
Wanna know how to do something with a computer? It gives pretty good answers that made me feel I am better at IT than I otherwise would be.
nicolina

Post by nicolina »

I used it regularly to learn Japanese, I think it’s much better than Google translate.

Example 1: I asked chatgpt what’s the difference between お目にかける vs ご覧になる, and I got the explanation below.

“お目にかける” (ome ni kakeru) and “ご覧になる” (goran ni naru) are both polite expressions, but they are used in slightly different contexts:

1. お目にかける (ome ni kakeru):
• Meaning: To humbly present or show something to someone with respect. This expression emphasizes the act of presenting or offering something to the listener in a polite manner.
• Example: この芸術作品をお目にかけます。 (I will show you this piece of art with respect.)
2. ご覧になる (goran ni naru):
• Meaning: A more formal and polite way of saying “to see” or “to look at.” It is often used to show respect when referring to someone seeing or looking at something.
• Example: この映画をご覧になりましたか? (Have you seen this movie?)

In summary, “お目にかける” specifically focuses on presenting or showing something respectfully, while “ご覧になる” is a general and polite expression for someone seeing or looking at something.

Example 2: Explain the meaning of 脚色, 脚本, 失脚.

• 脚色 (Kyakuseki): This term refers to the process of adapting or dramatizing a story, often for a performance like a play or a film. It involves transforming a source material into a script or screenplay suitable for the chosen medium.
• 脚本 (Kyakuhon): This translates to “script” or “screenplay.” It is the written text that actors follow during a performance or filming. A 脚本 includes dialogue, stage directions, and other elements necessary for the production.
• 失脚 (Shikkaku): This term means to fall from power or lose one’s position. It is often used in political or organizational contexts to describe a person’s downfall or loss of influence.

In summary, 脚色 involves adapting a story, 脚本 is the actual script or screenplay, and 失脚 refers to a downfall or loss of position.
William
Regular

Post by William »

I use Gemini daily for:

Translations — English to Japanese and Japanese to English. Very useful and a real time-saver, especially when I need to write business nihon-go, which I can't. Of course, you need to speak the language to at least review the writing and be sure Gemini did convey your message.

I also use it to rewrite my draft in English, to fix the tone, or see if I've forgotten any point. I may, or may not, delete the suggestions that come from the AI tool.

I use ChatGPT for my studies, asking it to provide examples with specific new words I want to remember and add to my Anki.