Why is there so much confusion around pensions?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Why is there so much confusion around pensions?

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

Over the last 6 months I have seen quite a few postings in expats groups where near-retirees or mid 50s folks are suddenly shocked by their pension forecasts. I have heard similar from other colleagues in the past.
"X had his own school and paid into to the system for 30 years and is only getting around 5万 a month!"
"My projected nenkin payment is only 80万 annually!"
"How can I budget retirement on nenkin+employee pension alone, why is it so low?"
It seems that a lot of people are under the misapprehension that paying into nenkin (or nenkin+employee pension), would unlock a fully funded retirement, worth well beyond the initial contributions. This belief seems shockingly common. Where does it come from? Is it based off of a misunderstanding of the fully funded company pensions that were more common 3-4 decades ago in the west?

It seems almost like many people seem to think Japan offers some sort of UBI upon retirement, and are completely unprepared for the reality. Pension in Japan are more like a "savings scheme".
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Why is there so much confusion around pensions?

Post by RetireJapan »

This is the main reason RetireJapan exists.

I run into it all the time (with both Japanese and non-Japanese people). In my opinion it is the mirror image of the 'government pensions are a scam/ponzi scheme and you are just wasting money by paying into them' people.

Both stem from ignorance and a refusal to look at the numbers.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:37 am This is the main reason RetireJapan exists.
I thought RJ exists because you were angry at people getting taken for a ride by unlicensed offshore insurance salesmen?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

adamu wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:44 am
RetireJapan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:37 am This is the main reason RetireJapan exists.
I thought RJ exists because you were angry at people getting taken for a ride by unlicensed offshore insurance salesmen?
Same thing. People not understanding personal finance = misery and poor quality of life

My friend getting arguably ripped off was just the catalyst 😔

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:45 am Pension in Japan are more like a "savings scheme".
The systems are a bit complex, that might be part of it.

I might be wrong in my understanding of some aspects, but I have always thought of the core system being funded by taxation. Many countries have these pay-as-you-go style systems where the current workers support the retirees.

It’s not like we are paying those taxes into a personal account (is it?), it’s just a system that promises us that future taxpayers will be paying our pensions.

Except, there are individualized parts like DCs, iDeCos. That is at least personalized, and better than plain savings.

I have never planned to rely on the tax funded part of the pension scheme, viewing it as unsustainable - demographically I can’t see it being a solid system. But as a salaryman it’s just tax like all the rest to me. “Social insurance premiums” are taxes!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

sutebayashi wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:52 pm
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:45 am Pension in Japan are more like a "savings scheme".

I might be wrong in my understanding of some aspects, but I have always thought of the core system being funded by taxation. Many countries have these pay-as-you-go style systems where the current workers support the retirees.

It’s not like we are paying those taxes into a personal account (is it?), it’s just a system that promises us that future taxpayers will be paying our pensions.

Except, there are individualized parts like DCs, iDeCos. That is at least personalized, and better than plain savings.

I have never planned to rely on the tax funded part of the pension scheme, viewing it as unsustainable - demographically I can’t see it being a solid system. But as a salaryman it’s just tax like all the rest to me. “Social insurance premiums” are taxes!
The government pension fund changes this a bit I think.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:45 pm
sutebayashi wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:52 pm

Caveats.....

Floor 2 (Employee pension) is jointly paid by employer and employee

DC (Corporate iDeco) is often partially funded by employers

Both floor 1 (nenkin) and floor 2 (employee pension) are supported by the GPIF, the largest pension investment scheme in the world. (The government invests a portion of everyone's pension funds to grow the pot).

Am I missing anything else?
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Have you seen any numbers around this?

From someone posted previously - to my surprise - the UK was in a much less bad (I struggle to use the word better in this context) position than Japan when it came to future Government pension payments.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Deep Blue wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:36 am

Have you seen any numbers around this?

From someone posted previously - to my surprise - the UK was in a much less bad (I struggle to use the word better in this context) position than Japan when it came to future Government pension payments.
https://www.oecd.org/publications/oecd- ... 991363.htm

Scroll down and select Japan. Pg 6 gives you 2065 projections as well.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Mercer have done some work on pension funds and rank the UK much more highly than Japan

https://www.mercer.com/insights/investm ... ion-index/

Japan is rated C on a scale or A to E.

Japan scores particularly poorly on sustainability (D).