Entering semi-retirement - what now?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Kiro
Regular

Re: Entering semi-retirement - what now?

Post by Kiro »

I'd say you should still do the math, or visit the city hall and ask for estimates. As maybe your salary puts you in the highest bracket anyway for national insurance, even with the 30/100 applied.
The last time I was unemployed and used this, my salary was around JPY 9M, so setting it to 30/100 for insurance calculation was really good.
If you have a really high salary and it doesn't change anything, then maybe staying 1 year with your company's health insurance will come with better insurance perks than the national one.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Moneymatters wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:58 am
"preceding preceding" I had to read that twice before it made sense. :lol:
thanks for the clear information and confirmation.
Knowing when payments will be due and what they are based on is most useful.

for your other question. I'm not paying into the employment insurance system due to my role as Rep Director.. so I won't be eligible to receive it.
The year before that - 一昨年 ;-)

OK.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
hawkmoon99

Post by hawkmoon99 »

Coming back to this thread regarding HC.
My wife still works at the company I left and was wondering if she should add me to her insurance.
Would we expect the cost for this to be less than N+1? She will go ask HR.

Meanwhile I'm filling out the Hello Work documentation. I think they are just going to roll their eyes and grin based on my previous work compensation and expectations. I don't see any way it would benefit me to fudge either so I'm playing it straight as I believe I'm fairly entitled to the benefit I paid into for so long.
Permanent resident, ex-financial technology guy
CMT Fitness & Bodybuilding Coaching www.cmtphysiques.com
Tokyo, Japan
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

hawkmoon99 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:16 am Coming back to this thread regarding HC.
My wife still works at the company I left and was wondering if she should add me to her insurance.

Meanwhile I'm filling out the Hello Work documentation. I think they are just going to roll their eyes and grin based on my previous work compensation and expectations. I don't see any way it would benefit me to fudge either so I'm playing it straight as I believe I'm fairly entitled to the benefit I paid into for so long.
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000678122.pdf

https://ten-navi.com/hacks/article-546-45454

See Daily Benefit by age, and Number of days of benefit (including weekends and national holidays) by Age and number of years worked.

First payment will be 21 days, and then subsequent payments will be every 28 days until the maximum number of days is reached.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

hawkmoon99

Post by hawkmoon99 »

Tkydon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:12 am
hawkmoon99 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:16 am Coming back to this thread regarding HC.

See Daily Benefit by age, and Number of days of benefit (including weekends and national holidays) by Age and number of years worked.

First payment will be 21 days, and then subsequent payments will be every 28 days until the maximum number of days is reached.
I have read those, I think you posted at least one earlier, very helpful indeed. They confirmed I can get the max payment for 330 days.
I'm just expecting the HW staff to be a bit dismissive as I'm going to put down that I am listing that I will be "pursuing similar roles" while I collect. I hope that doesn't become an issue. I have never had an issue with officials here as I'm nice and receive the same.
Tokyo, Japan
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

hawkmoon99 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:16 am ...
I claimed briefly decades ago having "left" a well compensated role. "Head held high and feet held even higher" I believe is the favored expression.
They had zero visible interest it what I'd earned and what my job hunting criteria was.
As I recall, I just filled in a form once a month showing what job hunting effort I made. e.g. apply for a couple of jobs.
Now, I only claimed for a few months so it's possible their level of bothersomeness could increase over time but I'd be surprised.
As this was Shinjuku and they seems really really busy.
One of those, "this reminds me of the movie Brazil*" moments we get like at the driving license renewal place when you find yourself idly thinking "wouldn't this be a bit easier if we were each stuffed into cloth sacks pegged to a ceiling mounted conveyer belt type thing..
Oh. Have you looked into the bonus they pay you if you start work again before your eligible period expires?

*If you haven't yet experienced Terry Gilliam's best** movie I urge you all to.
On the presumption we will arrive at dystopia, it's the version that I find most alluring with an aesthetic quality I'm sure many apartment builders in Japan have already taken a leaf out of.
I'm also fairly sure my latest dentist is a fan..

** Just don't. It's not even a discussion.
"That guy"
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

hawkmoon99 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:29 am
Tkydon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:12 am

I have read those, I think you posted at least one earlier, very helpful indeed. They confirmed I can get the max payment for 330 days.
I'm just expecting the HW staff to be a bit dismissive as I'm going to put down that I am listing that I will be "pursuing similar roles" while I collect. I hope that doesn't become an issue. I have never had an issue with officials here as I'm nice and receive the same.
They won't have any problem.

You have to list two (2) job seeking actions you took in the last 28 days each time you sign on.

If I remember correctly, the answers to the questions are:

1. イ - I did not do any work or voluntary work whilst claiming benefit
2. no response
3. ア - I did some job hunting activities
and 2(1) two activities:
Company Name, Date, Contact method; tel, docs, interview, other.,
position/job, How you found the oppty; introduction, newspaper ad., job mag, internet, other,
Result; Interview Appt. and date, employed, not employed, awaiting result, applying, declining
4. ア - I would be immediately available if offered a position by the Public Job Center or Regional Transport Logistics Office
5. no response
6. Date, Sign, and write your Hello Work Identification Number
:
:

Kiro
Regular

Post by Kiro »

I can confirm what others above have said, it won't be a problem.
I've used it twice in the past, no issues at all. I still remember the first time at HW Shibuya, a very nice old lady was looking at my profile when I came to get my first stamp and said straight to my face "you'll be looking by yourself or using agents, right? Because we don't have any jobs here which would fit your profile." :D
Go there every month, fill the paper, get stamp, that's about it.

As regards getting added to your wife's insurance (and kokumin nenkin I guess), it is very good if they accept, but it won't likely be possible until you stop getting unemployment benefits. I tried the same thing, and HR said the amount received from unemployment insurance was too high (you have to be below a certain threshold) but once no more unemployment insurance is received then you can get added as dependent. Do let us know what HR say, I'd be curious to know if they say the same thing.
hawkmoon99

Post by hawkmoon99 »

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. Great community here!

And yes, Brazil is a great movie - rewatched it not that long ago.
Creeped me out when I was younger how DeNiro went.
Tokyo, Japan
TokyoSurvivor

Post by TokyoSurvivor »

This thread is excellent and pretty much my current situation so will be following closely as I'm learning a lot from it.

I do have a few questions regarding timing of everything and what depends on what.
For example, if the last day officially employed is May 31st (assumption is the company ends it), I believe from that point a clock is ticking when you need to get the health insurance, national pension contributions and Hello Work sorted out.

# May 31st - final official day of employment

# June 12th - deadline to sign on to "Hello Work" (based on following deadlines)?

# June 14th - National Health Insurance (kokumin kenko hoken) - deadline to join if choosing this option

# June 14th - National Pension deadline (kokumin nenkin) - deadline to join

# June 20th - Company Health Insurance - deadline to continue (for max 2 years). With no company contributions likely expensive.

For "Hello Work", is there a deadline to sign up? I understand that once you've signed on to Hello Work you can use a certificate issued by them to reduce National Health contributions, and this can also be used after initial sign on (so you can actually do Hello Work after). Is this correct?

Anything missing in my timeline?

Sorry if I've repeated anything already mentioned etc, but this is a complex area that I want to get right first time.

Cheers