Rebalancing in iDeCo after my 65th birthday

ChapInTokyo
Regular

Rebalancing in iDeCo after my 65th birthday

Post by ChapInTokyo »

I understand that you can only make contributions to iDeCo until you are 65 but you don’t need to cash it out until you are 75.

Does this mean though that after I turn 65 I won’t be able to rebalance the iDeCo portfolio within iDeCo and will have to muck about with trying to calculate the proper allocations between my taxable account and iDeCo and NISA as well as my pension and cash holdings?

I hope I’ll still have all my wits about me when I’m doing all of that…
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Rebalancing in iDeCo after my 65th birthday

Post by Tkydon »

No, you will be able to continue to manage the funds in the iDeCo. You just won't be able to make new contributions.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
ChapInTokyo
Regular

Post by ChapInTokyo »

Tkydon wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:31 am No, you will be able to continue to manage the funds in the iDeCo. You just won't be able to make new contributions.
Oh I see. So I can do this “Switching” until I cash out. Thanks! Incidentally are all the brokers pretty much the same in terms of portfolio management tools? I don’t suppose any of them have come up with an automatic rebalancing robot to keep the funds roughly within their target allocations? That would be so cool.😎
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

ChapInTokyo wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:36 am
Tkydon wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:31 am No, you will be able to continue to manage the funds in the iDeCo. You just won't be able to make new contributions.
Oh I see. So I can do this “Switching” until I cash out. Thanks! Incidentally are all the brokers pretty much the same in terms of portfolio management tools? I don’t suppose any of them have come up with an automatic rebalancing robot to keep the funds roughly within their target allocations? That would be so cool.😎
I don't know the answer as I haven't used all their management tools, but the Funds available in iDeCo vary by iDeCo provider, so probably best to look at the fund line-up available in each, if you are thinking of switching providers.

As far as switching funds in concerned, I would expect them to be much of a muchness..
You sell some or all units of one Fund, and immediately use the proceeds to by units of another Fund, or units of the Provider's Money Market Equivalent; some thing like a DC Guaranteed Principal plus Accident Insurance...
You can't just leave the cash in limbo...
And switching will take about a week; two or three business days to settle the sell trade and then two or three business days to settle the buy trade.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
ChapInTokyo
Regular

Post by ChapInTokyo »

I see. Sounds like it’s a bit clunky but since it’s free….