UK state pension voluntary contributions online

RetireJapan
Site Admin

UK state pension voluntary contributions online

Post by RetireJapan »

So close. I just logged in to see if I could pay online, and you have to lie to do so (say you were not abroad during the time periods in question (if you were abroad, you could be eligible for class 2 payments so need to call them, but I know I am not).

However, the final payment page is coming up as 'experiencing difficulties'. Will keep trying.

(I have three gaps from when HMRC cancelled my direct debits for no reason and need to fill them in)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
halfmanhalfsenbei
Regular

Re: UK state pension voluntary contributions online

Post by halfmanhalfsenbei »

By "pay online" you mean by credit card? I haven't seen this option, but I was able to make voluntary contributions via UK bank transfer for a hodgepodge collection of years of varying amounts. This is also how I intend to pay going forward.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

halfmanhalfsenbei wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:04 am By "pay online" you mean by credit card? I haven't seen this option, but I was able to make voluntary contributions via UK bank transfer for a hodgepodge collection of years of varying amounts. This is also how I intend to pay going forward.
Yes, going through the website without having to call up half a dozen times and speak to some nice people who then don't do what they said they were going to do :roll:

But the website is a bait and switch as well :lol:

Will keep trying.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Ooooh, update. Just tried again and it kind of worked.

Logged into my UK bank via the HMRC site, and it seems to have worked except I needed my card reader to confirm the transaction (which is at home).

Will try again tonight. Exciting.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TunaSki
Regular

Post by TunaSki »

Do you know if those who are class 2 can pay online like this? Given that for class 2 the system defaults to class 3 (until it’s paid, then it appears as self employment the same way as class 2)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TunaSki wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:46 am Do you know if those who are class 2 can pay online like this? Given that for class 2 the system defaults to class 3 (until it’s paid, then it appears as self employment the same way as class 2)
Don't think so. I had to lie to get to the payment screen (if you live abroad there's a chance you might be eligible for Class 2 so it makes you call them to check)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)