Tax loss harvesting by moving from ETF to MF

tbsmj

Tax loss harvesting by moving from ETF to MF

Post by tbsmj »

First time poster but long time reader; thanks a lot for the many insightful discussions.

So due to the recent downturn I have some unrealized losses in taxable account (特定口座), which is currently invested in index ETFs (1348, 1550, 1681). I also have made some realized capital gains earlier this year from selling things like own-company stocks.

Based on the recommendations of this group, I was thinking of moving from ETFs to low ER mutual funds such as the eMaxis slim funds—mainly in NISA starting from next year for the dividend reinvestment, but also in taxable for simplicity's sake.

Would selling my entire taxable ETF portfolio and buying essentially the same[*] indices immediately after as mutal funds let me realize the current losses for the purpose of offsetting this year's capital gains tax-wise (i.e., 損益通算), or would the taxman object to something like this? To complicate things further, most of my realized capital gains have been obtained at a different broker than the one holding my regular taxable account (Nomura vs. SBI), so I would probably have to go to the tax office and file a 確定申告 (which I have never done before as a regular company employee) in order to get the full refund.

Does anyone have experience with the entire 損益通算 process? Thanks!

[*] If it helps, both the exact amount I'll invest in MF and the allocation will differ a bit from the current ETF investment, since I have an additional contribution to make and need to rebalance the allocation a bit.