Credit card applications

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
ben260

Credit card applications

Post by ben260 »

Hello forum,

A question about timing of credit card applications: should you leave a certain amount of time between one application and the next?

In February this year I applied for a JCB card to use mainly for work purchases for new job. This is fine for things on Amazon.co.jp, but it turns out I may need to travel overseas once or twice a year. As you can imagine, the JCB card was of limited use on a recent trip to Brisbane, hence already wanting to apply for a more practical Visa/MasterCard/American Express.

If anyone has any knowledge/experience/understanding on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to undermine my credit history/rating because of a silly choice of a JCB card!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Credit card applications

Post by RetireJapan »

Hi ben

Not sure to be honest. I have applied for multiple cards in a relatively short time and got approved for all of them, but I am not familiar with how the system works.

Anyone else? Do let us know how you get on :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

If you are getting approved, there should be no problem with applying for more credit cards, as long as it's not a ridiculous amount of them.

If you are getting rejected, you are only hurting your chances of getting one by applying over and over in a short time period. (At least that's what I was told when I was getting rejected by companies)
ben260

Post by ben260 »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The JCB card was my first application in Japan and it was approved quickly and easily. I don’t anticipate being rejected (I have PR & secure employment) and since it’s been 6 months, i think it should be fine to apply for another.

If anyone else knows anything, please post!
TheDorian

Post by TheDorian »

In Japan there is a credit bureau called CIC.

In order for a company to issue you a card they will check your credit record with CIC, which in turn will leave an inquiry on your credit record.

I am not sure about this now but I think if you have an empty credit record and are relatively new in the country (doesn't seem to be your case) they may not issue you a card.
If they find many inquiries on your record but no active credit lines it may also look suspicious. (I think inquiries stick with you for 6 months)

Since you already have a JCB card and probably hopefully never paid late your credit record should look pretty decent though so I am surprised you would get rejected on a different credit card.
Jamo
Regular

Post by Jamo »

If you can go without credit, have you considered a debit card? I got a VISA debit card through SBI when I opened my account. Very straight forward (I'm assuming you can read Japanese), and they have a points/cashback system which seems pretty good.
ben260

Post by ben260 »

TheDorian wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:09 am In Japan there is a credit bureau called CIC.

In order for a company to issue you a card they will check your credit record with CIC, which in turn will leave an inquiry on your credit record.

I am not sure about this now but I think if you have an empty credit record and are relatively new in the country (doesn't seem to be your case) they may not issue you a card.
If they find many inquiries on your record but no active credit lines it may also look suspicious. (I think inquiries stick with you for 6 months)

Since you already have a JCB card and probably hopefully never paid late your credit record should look pretty decent though so I am surprised you would get rejected on a different credit card.
Thanks for that info. I certainly don't expect to be rejected based on time in Japan or employment situation, but was wondering mainly about timing. From your answer and those above, perhaps I needn't be concerned as my initial one was 6 months ago.

Jamo wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:35 am If you can go without credit, have you considered a debit card? I got a VISA debit card through SBI when I opened my account. Very straight forward (I'm assuming you can read Japanese), and they have a points/cashback system which seems pretty good.
Yes, I have a debit card through Suruga Bank, but the main purpose of having the credit card for us is accumulating air miles (JAL Card).

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll take a look at SBI's scheme.
ben260

Post by ben260 »

So, I finally have an answer!

Received my new credit card today and even had a 100 man yen limit (whereas JCB only gave me 20 man yen).

It probably depends a lot on individual circumstances, but two applications 6 months apart didn't seem to be an issue for me.

The end!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Good news! A happy ending :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
asv

Post by asv »

Is it bad to cancel a card?

I had a JAL Card and a Rakuten Card but now that I got an ANA Superflyers Card and decided I don't need the Rakuten Card (fuck their spam).

I read in many American forums that cancelling a card is supposed to be bad for credit score. Why? Does that apply here?