I too have fucked up...

captainspoke
Sage

Re: I too have fucked up...

Post by captainspoke »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:59 pm I believe the Japanese pension is paid every two months, which would help somewhat...
Yes, even-numbered months, on or about the 15th.
ichigoichie
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by ichigoichie »

Can I ask how it went with the back payments? I'm in a similar situation myself. Have you been paying the health insurance the whole time?

Cheers.
Jemineye
Regular

Post by Jemineye »

ichigoichie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:08 am Can I ask how it went with the back payments? I'm in a similar situation myself. Have you been paying the health insurance the whole time?

Cheers.
Wow. I’m sorry I didn’t respond. Been MIA for years. I’m sure things have worked out for you now but for your information, I cleared my back payments in a little over a year. The pension service are mean! I was paying the uk to date pension and trying to accumulate money so that I could kill the back payments in large increments. I thought paying the up to date ones would be a good show of faith but nope, not good enough for Japan.

I received a nasty letter one December demanding that I make the back payments or they would swoop in and take everything from my accounts. So I made some payments and come corona, finished it off when we got that ¥100,000 stipend.

And yes, I had been paying health insurance at the same time.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Jemineye wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:20 pm...
Wow. I’m sorry I didn’t respond. Been MIA for years. ...
As one of my old teachers used to say, better late than never. ;)

(Personally, I think pension/healthcare should be a checkbox on every type of visa renewal, probably not a popular opinion).
igzem

Post by igzem »

If I worked in Japan only 6 years and retired here, am I elegible to receive pension?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

igzem wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:32 pm If I worked in Japan only 6 years and retired here, am I elegible to receive pension?
You need to pay at least 120 months into nenkin to become eligible for a partial pension.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

igzem wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:32 pm If I worked in Japan only 6 years and retired here, am I elegible to receive pension?
It is explained in English here:

https://www.nenkin.go.jp/international/ ... nsion.html

10 years' worth of payments are needed to receive a pension.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Butterball
Regular

Post by Butterball »

If you have previously worked in another country, and that country has a pension totalization agreement with Japan, you can get credit for that previous working time to meet the minimum.

https://www.nenkin.go.jp/international/ ... ons01.html
igzem

Post by igzem »

@butterball
@beanhead
Thanks for your replies. Looks like money lost, will check.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Similar question so asking here.
I’ve had 100% exemption for my 1st year here. Then since about July last year I’ve had 50% exemption. I went to the kuyakusho when I got the payment slips as I was expecting 100% again. I said I couldn’t afford them just yet but that I’d be getting a bit more money come December. The guy said that I could pay them any time within the next 2 years and showed me the deadline date on the payment slip.
Ok. Great. But come December I got a warning looking letter/notice card. And now I keep getting them every now and then. I’ve gone back to the kuyakusho multiple times to ask why and they keep saying don’t worry.
I made my first payment about 2 weeks ago. This was for the initial first payment slip back from July. But today I got another warning notice card.
What am I doing wrong?