umbrella policies in Japan?

StockBeard
Veteran

umbrella policies in Japan?

Post by StockBeard »

A topic that resurfaces a lot on US forums for people to protect their assets from liability are umbrella policies.

I used to think this was dumb, but:
- A few years ago, a company threatened to sue me for hundreds of thousands of dollars for a review I had written about them on my blog. (Ben will probably remember that). The incorrectly said it was libel, but I did not have the legal support to fight back.
- Recently my wife told me that her and the kids are not insured for the bikes they ride regularly. Some people in Japan have apparently had to pay thousands of dollars for accidents caused by their kids on a bike

Also the two issues above are separate, I'm wondering if an umbrella policy could work for these kinds of situations and more. I'm also wondering how common umbrella policies are in Japan.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: umbrella policies in Japan?

Post by RetireJapan »

Bike insurance is super cheap.

We used to have a family 'accident insurance', which covered injuries, liability, damage etc. from accidents. Also fairly reasonable.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Unlike the US, the risk of being sued for large amounts for spurious reasons here is fairly negligible :)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
StockBeard
Veteran

Post by StockBeard »

Thanks. Do you remember the provider you used, by any chance? What about your blog, do you have anything? (For a scenario similar to mine)
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

Regarding bikes, we found out our home insurance also covered our liability for bicycle accidents here. You might want to check your home policy.
Utachiyo
Regular

Post by Utachiyo »

In Osaka, it's recently become a regulation that all bicycles must have insurance. The basic level is just 500 yen per year, so it's super cheap...though you also have to get a bike inspection/check-up at the same time and that cost 2500 yen, I think. That part probably depends on the shop.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

For bikes, either a 7-11 policy or this one: http://www.au-sonpo.co.jp/pc/byclebest/ ... ml#tab_top

The latter (both?) can get you legal representation.

As a cyclist in any kind of bike/car matchup, you need an insurance company to be doing the talking/negotiating for you with the driver's insurance company--peer to peer. Otherwise, you will be at a disadvantage.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

StockBeard wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:36 am Thanks. Do you remember the provider you used, by any chance? What about your blog, do you have anything? (For a scenario similar to mine)
I don't remember the provider, but they all have something similar.

Anyone wants to sue me in Sendai regarding the blog, they're welcome to try ;)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)