Cryptocurrencies

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Jamo
Regular

Re: Cryptocurrencies

Post by Jamo »

adamu wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:26 pm With tax return season coming up, now I just need to work out how to report this...
Yeah, same. According to advice on bitFlyer (https://bitflyer.jp/digital-currency-tax/capital-gain), it should be taxed as either income or capital gain (flat 20%?), depending on the individual's purpose for making the sale.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Yeah I real that article, but it doesn't help you do the calculations. I was planning on just printing off all the data and taking it to the tax office.

I'm not sure how to do the calculations. We could calculate the tax per sale, in a similar way to a tax-reporting account at a broker. Or we could do it when we withdrw JPY from the trading account. But in the latter case, it's not clear how much of the transfer represents gain/income/loss, so maybe it's going to have to be per-trade...

edit: I need to fix my spellchecker...
Last edited by adamu on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jamo
Regular

Post by Jamo »

adamu wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:21 pm Yeah I real that article, but it doesn't help you do the calculations. I was planning on just printing off all the data and taking it to the tax office.
It's worth a shot, those guys seem to love paperwork :lol:
adamu wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:21 pm I'm not sure how to do the calculations. We could calculate the tax per sale, in a similar way to a tax-reporting account at a broker. Or we could do it when we withdrw JPY from the trading account. But in the latter case, it's not clear how much of the transfer represents gain/income/loss, so maybe it's going to have to be per-trade...
My guess would be tax per trade. Yen is yen, whether or not it's in the trading account or your personal account ;)

Something I'm unsure about is, say for example I buy 2 btc at two different prices. Then I sell at a different, higher price. Which btc is sold? Can this be controlled? The same goes for shares.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Jamo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:35 am Something I'm unsure about is, say for example I buy 2 btc at two different prices. Then I sell at a different, higher price. Which btc is sold? Can this be controlled? The same goes for shares.
I think you would have to calcualte the profit for 1btc at the first price, and 1btc at the second price. For people that make multiple trades a day, this must get unmanagable very quickly...
Jamo
Regular

Post by Jamo »

adamu wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:23 am I think you would have to calcualte the profit for 1btc at the first price, and 1btc at the second price. For people that make multiple trades a day, this must get unmanagable very quickly...
So what if I only sell one of my two btc? Calculate the average of the profits?
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I have no idea...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I think my Rakuten account takes the average purchase price when selling. That would make it manageable to calculate at least. Be interesting to see what the tax office say :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Jamo
Regular

Post by Jamo »

I did a bit of searching and found a couple of ways that can be used to calculate gains/losses for multiple purchases/sales of the same currency or stock: FIFO (first-in, first-out) and ACB (adjusted cost base). ACB appears to be the most appropriate so I decided to go with it to calculate my gains and losses from here on, using a spreadsheet. I'll see what the tax office has to say when I hand it in - I don't have that many transactions, at the moment...

As the name suggests, ACB involves adjusting the basic cost after each transaction, so you always have an adjusted cost in order to calculate a gain/loss.

There's an explanation of how to do it here: https://www.adjustedcostbase.ca/blog/ho ... tal-gains/
plumenator
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by plumenator »

I'm interested in knowing the tax implications too. What happens if I miss the deadline to pay tax on my capital gains? Can I pay them next year?
Jamo
Regular

Post by Jamo »

plumenator wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:44 pm I'm interested in knowing the tax implications too. What happens if I miss the deadline to pay tax on my capital gains? Can I pay them next year?
I'm sure there would be some way to. But you may incur a fee... Not sure.