Cryptocurrencies

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Jamo
Regular

Re: Cryptocurrencies

Post by Jamo »

Found this article today: https://www.enigma.co.jp/media/page-16728/

It's based on guidance released by the NTA on the 1st of December regarding crypto tax (https://www.nta.go.jp/shiraberu/zeiho-k ... 127/01.pdf).

This is the most comprehensive info I have found to date, covering even forks and mining. Although not extremely detailed, it pretty much answered all my questions in regards to what is taxable and how to calculate it.

It's pretty much what I was expecting. That is, use a moving average/adjusted cost base to calculate your running acquisition cost when making multiple transactions of the same currency. And when buying one currency with another currency, that is also a tax event.

Profits made should be declared in your tax return as "zatsushotoku" (miscellaneous income). If you normally don't need to submit a kakutei shinkoku, and your profits are less than 200,000 yen, there is no need to report these profits. However, I read on another site that you will still be liable to pay citizen's tax on those profits (https://btcnews.jp/3b2pzy9m12639).

The article also spells out that not paying tax properly for crypto amounts to tax evasion, and details the potential punishments.

This image is also interesting. It shows the tax rates for different bitcoin profits. This would suggest that it's taxed separately to your overall income (I thought it was included?). Maybe this is how miscellaneous income works? I'm not sure... Anyway, say you make less than 3,300,000 yen profit in a year. There's a deductible amount of around 100,000 yen. And the tax rate on the remainder is 10%, plus 10% citizen tax = total 20% tax.

If you have any questions in regards to translation of the doc, just ask me.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Jamo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:53 amuse a moving average/adjusted cost base to calculate your running acquisition cost when making multiple transactions of the same currency. And when buying one currency with another currency, that is also a tax event.
Yeah, I have no idea how to do that. I seriously suspect I'm going to be paying for help.
Jamo
Regular

Post by Jamo »

It's not so difficult. I posted a link to a website explaining it a few pages back.

The hard part is digging up all the numbers from the exchanges you used. A real pain in the arse!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Iced tea company rebrands as “Long Blockchain” and stock price triples
The Long Island Iced Tea Corporation is exactly what it sounds like: a company that sells people bottled iced tea and lemonade. But today the company announced a significant change of strategy that would start with changing its name to "Long Blockchain Corporation."

The company was "shifting its primary corporate focus towards the exploration of and investment in opportunities that leverage the benefits of blockchain technology," the company said in a Thursday morning press release. "Emerging blockchain technologies are creating a fundamental paradigm shift across the global marketplace," the company said.

The stock market loved the announcement. Trading opened Thursday morning more than 200 percent higher than Wednesday night's closing price.

The company isn't getting out of the iced tea business. "The Company will continue to operate Long Island Brand Beverages, LLC as a wholly-owned subsidiary," the company writes in its press release.

The new blockchain efforts are only in their "preliminary stages," the press release says, and will likely involve investing or forming partnerships with other companies. One potential partner is providing "blockchain infrastructure for the financial services industry." Another is building a "new smart contract platform for building decentralized applications."

The former Long Island Iced Tea Company is following the lead of other companies that have seen their value skyrocket after announcing blockchain-related moves. One small financial technology company saw its value skyrocket after it announced a blockchain-related acquisition. In October, a biotech company saw its value skyrocket after it renamed itself "Riot Blockchain."

The move is reminiscent of the late 1990s, when companies could see their stock prices soar if they added ".com" to their names.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... n-to-name/

:lol:
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

adamu wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:36 am Iced tea company rebrands as “Long Blockchain” and stock price triples
I saw that.

In unrelated news, my wife's English school will be changing its name to 'Bitcoin English' from January ;)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Jamo
Regular

Post by Jamo »

If anyone is looking to get into the market, now is a good time! Big dips today.
DragonAsh
Veteran

Post by DragonAsh »

I bought $1000 in bitcoin a few years ago when it was right around $200. Not so much as an investment, more so I could understand the technology, how the process worked, etc.

I promptly forgot all about it. In fact I even packed up the PC in question with the rest of our belongings that spent several months on a boat from London after we relocated back to Tokyo last summer.

Late last year I needed to go back to the US for a few months, and decided that with bitcoin now around $5000, I'd take the gains rather than risk another crash while I was overseas. I was congratulating myself on turning $1000 into $25,000.

After waiting for a couple of years, I simply needed to wait a couple of months and I could have turned that $1000 into roughly $100,000.
Oh well.

I haven't been the least bit interested in jumping back in. I hope everyone jumping in now doesn't lose their shirt. This chart has been making the rounds...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

DragonAsh wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:54 am I haven't been the least bit interested in jumping back in. I hope everyone jumping in now doesn't lose their shirt. This chart has been making the rounds...
I am an idiot, so will be putting 1.5% of our monthly investing into crypto going forward. Will be writing about it on the blog soon...
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)