Better solution than bank savings account for cash storage?

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
N00bster
Veteran

Better solution than bank savings account for cash storage?

Post by N00bster »

Hi, I believe this question is a good fit for this new forum section. ;)

I currently have a decent sum in cash sitting in a regular bank savings account, which I would like to gradually invest into the market. If you followed my adventures on the reader's profiles, you know that I am following the typical recommended course here (NISA, iDeco, Theo). Sure, I could stuff everything into Theo today, but I would like to cost-average that a bit considering that the market is suspiciously healthy at the moment.

I plan to have this cash stash fully invested within the course of a few years, but in the meantime I am looking for a slightly better way to store it than the 50 yen interest my cash account generates each month.

So my request is maybe deluded, but do you know of an investment vector with the following properties:
- Extremely low risk, as I don't want my stash to take much damage during that time,
- Obviously very low return, while being better than what the banks propose,
- High liquidity in yen, as I want to gradually move them into more risky and profitable ventures,
- Bonus points if this can be hosted on Rakuten Securities since I am more familiar with them.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!
adamu
Sage

Re: Better solution than bank savings account for cash storage?

Post by adamu »

Not what you asked for, but sticking with savings accounts, Shinsei does a 0.05% (better than 0.01%...) account:

2weeks Maturity Deposit
http://sre.shinseibank.com/Interestrate ... aspx#cate4

One downside with this is that you have to close it to withdraw any money - so may not be suited to your regular investment plan. You could close it and open a new one every month... Or open 24 at the beginning and close one a month :?

You're probably looking for a Money Market Fund. But I don't know much about those - maybe somebody else will chime in.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

No suggestions, I'm afraid. My wife and I are building up cash, either to renovate a house or buy stocks if there is a crash. We're just sticking the funds in Rakuten Bank and Shinsei Bank.

My thinking is that cash is liquid and not volatile. so if that is what you are looking for best not to get cute chasing yield as you might lose the liquidity and gain volatility ;)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Ori
Veteran

Post by Ori »

Short term individual bonds (not a bond funds)?
Ori
Veteran

Post by Ori »

As for the saving accounts, last time I checked (a couple of months ago) Shizugin (Shizuoka net bank) has the highest rate - 0.25-0.50, iianm, but only for 6-12 months.
deepdishj
Regular

Post by deepdishj »

Have you heard of this? https://www.maneo.jp/
5-7% is much more attractive than any Japanese bank.
I just signed up and will deposit the minimum to test it out and see how it goes.
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

Not sure whether that fits my "low risk" requirement, and wow the guy on their video looks like he is 14 years old, which does not really boost my confidence :) . But maybe I am unfair here. It would be interesting to get more feedback about this.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I opened an account with Maneo, but haven't started using it yet. However, I think P2P lending (or C2B lending) is a long way from cash savings in terms of how it performs.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

I've got a bit of money in Maneo. Interest payments are made every month and the principal is returned when the loan is paid off. I'm not sure if I'll invest any more because I'm a bit wary about the risk of default.
StockBeard
Veteran

Post by StockBeard »

deepdishj wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:34 am Have you heard of this? https://www.maneo.jp/
5-7% is much more attractive than any Japanese bank.
At that rate, how is the risk being described on these investments? (can't find it due to my poor JP skills)