Corona subsidy (free money)

KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Corona subsidy (free money)

Post by KyushuWoozy »

Thought I'd start a new thread about this because it could be a lifeline for so many of us.

The basic info has already been posted by Ben, here it is again:

https://www.meti.go.jp/covid-19/pdf/kyufukin.pdf

You can start with this document, read a ton of instructions, register by email then wait to receive a link to apply online. Applications opened today - but seems website is overloaded with zillions of desperate business owners because we keep getting "unable to process your request"

In summary, sole proprietors are entitled up to 1 million yen, and small companies 2 million. Most importantly, it's for any sole proprietors or small company that can show loss of income due to the virus - that's almost everyone, right? It isn't just for companies in specific fields or that have been specifically requested to close by the government.

It seems this is how the amount of subsidy you receive is worked out:

1. Choose a miserable corona-hit month (let's say March 2020)
2. Calculate how much your sales fell March 2020 vs March 2109 (let's say ¥100,000)
3. That amount is multiplied by 12 to calculate the amount of your subsidy (up to the maximum amounts previously mentioned)

Hope this helps. If I got anything wrong please correct me.
https://www.kyushujourneys.com/
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
Jansen
Veteran

Re: Corona subsidy (free money)

Post by Jansen »

Thanks. Unfortunately, only applies to those whose average monthly revenue has reduced by 50% or more.
ひと月の売上が前年同月比で50%以上減少している事業者。
It does say there are special considerations for those in season industries but doesn't mention any specifics.
ricardo
Veteran

Post by ricardo »

Nothing’s free - especially in Japan.

They’ll get it back in tax in the future because they haven’t got any money and they have to.

Consider it a loan at best.

And a bit galling for those who have worked their arses off to get money in other ways.

The taxi drivers doing delivery services.
The restaurant owners selling take out on the street.
The teachers who have gone 100% online.
The homemakers making masks.

And then there are those who think the world - or the government - owes them a living....
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

ricardo wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:43 am Nothing’s free - especially in Japan.

They’ll get it back in tax in the future because they haven’t got any money and they have to.

Consider it a loan at best.

And a bit galling for those who have worked their arses off to get money in other ways.

The taxi drivers doing delivery services.
The restaurant owners selling take out on the street.
The teachers who have gone 100% online.
The homemakers making masks.

And then there are those who think the world - or the government - owes them a living....
Most of those people will be eligible (and probably apply for) this.

I thought this post was pretty insensitive and doesn't bring much to the conversation. Would prefer to see more constructive ones in the future.

A lot of small businesses are going under at the moment.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
ricardo
Veteran

Post by ricardo »

I’m not interested in whether people think my post was insensitive or what they would prefer.

My point was that people need to be entrepreneurial and think differently, instead of being the victim and expecting the fairy godmother to appear.

Because I’ve worked harder and covered my losses elsewhere, I’ll get nothing. My friend who has done nothing but complain about his situation and refuses to reduce his spending will get ¥1 million. Perhaps I’m playing the victim now, but I’ve made my point.
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

Jansen wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:39 am only applies to those whose average monthly revenue has reduced by 50% or more
Thanks, it's good info. I guess some people on this forum will have seen a hit of 50% or more, depends on the industry they're in I suppose.

Took quite a few hours on the website but we managed to get our application in yesterday.
https://www.kyushujourneys.com/
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

KyushuWoozy wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:29 am
Jansen wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:39 am only applies to those whose average monthly revenue has reduced by 50% or more
Thanks, it's good info. I guess some people on this forum will have seen a hit of 50% or more, depends on the industry they're in I suppose.

Took quite a few hours on the website but we managed to get our application in yesterday.
Hopefully the subsidy comes through for you. I’m in a rural area that relies a lot on inbound tourism and a lot of people I know are suffering, especially if they have big overheads.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

ricardo wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:39 pm I’m not interested in whether people think my post was insensitive or what they would prefer.
Thank you for making your point, but I prefer that RetireJapan be a supportive, useful place and will reluctantly remove people that don't follow those guidelines.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
ricardo
Veteran

Post by ricardo »

“I looked at him. 'You really need to work on your threats. I can't tell if you're threatening me or inviting me for tea.'”
― Ilona Andrews, 'Magic Slays'
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I have worked very hard to cultivate a non-threatening online persona ;)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)