Self introduction

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
asv

Self introduction

Post by asv »

Hi everyone! Didn't see a thread for introductions, sorry if this is not the right way to start.

I am a 29yo male EU country national living in Tokyo for more than 4 years now.

I started as a MA student at a prestigious university and after graduating got a seishain position in a big (a traditional) Japanese メーカー. Salary is OK (standard for 新入社員) but the good thing is that as time passes I my grade becomes higher my salary will go up. In one year I already got a 4M salary + house benefits and I expect that in 3 years it will be 7M + housing which will be the standard for my age at this company.

I passed N2 a couple of years ago and right now I am preparing for N1 but I believe I can pass it.

I work in Tokyo, but I travel frequently abroad. I will probably stay like this for a few years but in the future I will probably have to (and want to) move to some of our overseas branches (EU, America, Thai, Singapore...).

I am married to my Japanese partner who owns her own shop (but doesn't employ anyone yet). She is doing great and expects to employee people very soon, so in case we decide to have a kid in a couple of years she can manage the store without actually doing the manual labour.

We live together in a rented house. There are two reasons I am not interested in buying a house: My company pays 9万円/月 of the house, and in the coming years I will probably end up moving to some overseas branch, so I don't really see the benefits of buying.

As for financial stuff: I didn't know anything until I started following this page. I use Moneytree to log everything, and try not to use cash so every is easier to track (basically I use credit cards, SUICA and electronic money). Recently I was able to achieve my 1M Yen in cash as emergency fund, so ideally my bonus this year will be the first money I would like to invest.

Some time ago I tried the Rakuten robo advisor investing 10万 but after 1 month my account was losing almost 2.000Y so I panicked and clased it. Yeah, I know...I plan to study, calm down and try again as soon as I can. I am also considering NISA but I am scared of having to pick up my own suff.

As for IDECO, I have not started yet because I have some unresolved questions. I don't really think I will retire here, honestly, I think there are way better places to retire (my home country, for example) so since I dont plan to retire here I am not sure about IDECO. Plus, my home country has right now a better pension system than Japan, and both countries have an agreement that what you work in each country will count when retiring in ether my home country or Japan. The problem about this is that I have tried to read the agreement and the conditions but it is extremely hard to understand. I need to give some calls to my home country pension system to understand how much would I get if I work in Japan for a long time and if IDECO will affect my payments in my home country.

Anyway, thank you for reading!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Self introduction

Post by RetireJapan »

Hi asv

Welcome! You have come to the right place :)

Based on your intro I would recommend starting with NISA, for you and your wife. Please ask questions on the forum if you need information/advice.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
asv

Re: Self introduction

Post by asv »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:42 am Hi asv

Welcome! You have come to the right place :)

Based on your intro I would recommend starting with NISA, for you and your wife. Please ask questions on the forum if you need information/advice.
Thank you! I will!