UK State Pension newbie

fools_gold
Veteran

Re: UK State Pension newbie

Post by fools_gold »

beanhead wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:28 am I can't answer your question about the gateway site, but regarding the payments showing up, patience is needed. I think they say the normal turnaround time is 12 or 16 weeks...
After that, then call to check up.
Well, it took about 5 months to get my initial application processed. I just hope the payment is applied before the contributions go up in April...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

fools_gold wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:22 am How did the money show up on your Government Gateway Account?
Well, it didn't. For months. Then I called them and they said something like 'oh, we received your payment but we didn't know what it was for so we haven't done anything with it' :roll:

So I would recommend letting them know what it is.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:31 am
In a most timely fashion, I got a letter from HMRC today. I never thought I would be excited to get mail from them, but anyway :lol:
It was a confirmation that the payments I made in August have been correctly allocated to my account/NI number.

Since I cannot check this on the Gateway site, I just called DWP to ask for an updated forecast. So in a few weeks I should finally have 'proof' that I am about 50% paid up for my state pension...
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:31 am Well, it didn't. For months. Then I called them and they said something like 'oh, we received your payment but we didn't know what it was for so we haven't done anything with it' :roll:

Thanks. I gave them a call yesterday. The confirmed the money had been received and I let them know it was for Class 2 NICs. I popped a letter in the post today just to be on the safe side.
beanhead wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:56 am In a most timely fashion, I got a letter from HMRC today. I never thought I would be excited to get mail from them, but anyway :lol:
It was a confirmation that the payments I made in August have been correctly allocated to my account/NI number.

Since I cannot check this on the Gateway site, I just called DWP to ask for an updated forecast. So in a few weeks I should finally have 'proof' that I am about 50% paid up for my state pension...
Great! Another 5 months to wait :)

My time line so far is...
Posted application in early July.
Got a reply in mid December.
Paid my shortfall on 21st December.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

fools_gold wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:56 am
Great! Another 5 months to wait :)

My time line so far is...
Posted application in early July.
Got a reply in mid December.
Paid my shortfall on 21st December.
Relatively smooth sailing so far!!

i still can't believe that I am excited to get letters from the UK government about pension payments, but anyway...
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Thanks to all those who helped with information about voluntary contributions.
My friends at DWP sent me the letter which confirmed that I am now eligible for almost 50% of the UK state pension.
uk-state-pension-half.jpg
Now, 18 more years to contribute to get to 35 and then live a few more years beyond...!!
Whiterose

Post by Whiterose »

Thanks to this helpful forum I also just got accepted to make class 2 contributions! :D The letter from DWP lists the 11 backpay years I can pay for. All at class 2 rate @£3.05 a week

It gives two dates, one is 'payment date without penalty' and the other is 'final time limit.'

I'm just curious if anyone has experience with the 'penalty' being applied to years you can backpay, e.g. If I can't manage to backpay all the years by the first date given (which is really soon :? !) what will happen? How much might the 'penalty' add to my bill?
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I found out there is a feedback form. Might be a good place for people who aren't able to register to complain. Not sure if it goes anywhere though...

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/feedback/TYF
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Whiterose wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:48 pm Thanks to this helpful forum I also just got accepted to make class 2 contributions! :D The letter from DWP lists the 11 backpay years I can pay for. All at class 2 rate @£3.05 a week

It gives two dates, one is 'payment date without penalty' and the other is 'final time limit.'

I'm just curious if anyone has experience with the 'penalty' being applied to years you can backpay, e.g. If I can't manage to backpay all the years by the first date given (which is really soon :? !) what will happen? How much might the 'penalty' add to my bill?
Pay back what you can. There is no obligation to back pay.
Depending on your age, you may be able to get to the 35 years anyway, without making full payments of those 11 years. It may cost you a few quid extra to pay in at current / future rates than that rate of £3.05 per week. The difference will be minimal, in the grand scheme of things.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

beanhead wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:39 am Depending on your age, you may be able to get to the 35 years anyway, without making full payments of those 11 years. It may cost you a few quid extra to pay in at current / future rates than that rate of £3.05 per week. The difference will be minimal, in the grand scheme of things.
I think the risk of future governments eliminating voluntary payments from abroad tips the scales in favour of backpaying while you can. Then all you need to do is remember to cancel your payments once you reach full eligibility.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)