JASSO scholarship query

MacAddict
Regular

JASSO scholarship query

Post by MacAddict »

Hello and a Happy New Year to all.
I would like to ask if anyone here is familiar with JASSO ‘scholarships’ for children entering university here in Japan.
Firstly, I appreciate the word ‘scholarship’ is a misnomer as it is actually a loan payable in installments after graduation.
We applied last year when my son (Japanese national) entered university on the assumption it would be straightforward (like applying for a student loan in UK). Alas, it’s Japan and I should have known better (sorry to say that, but that’s how I feel).
Last year there was delay after delay and by November he could not get a JASSO ‘scholarship’ and we ended up paying all his fees and expenses. The issue was my Japanese wife’s parents as guarantor were ineligible as they are retired.
So this year we have to apply again but this time through the university admin. And we have to wait til April to apply. As you can imagine, this is really impacting our finances.
Is a JASSO scholarship discretionary?
Have others applied for JASSO scholarship through their child’s university?
Am I missing something?
And … are you aware of websites (in Japanese is fine) for ‘real scholarships’ for Japanese students?
Many thanks.
beanhead
Sage

Re: JASSO scholarship query

Post by beanhead »

MacAddict wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:56 am
Is a JASSO scholarship discretionary?
Seems to be based on this page:
https://www.jasso.go.jp/shogakukin/abou ... oyaku.html

Looks like it is aimed at lower-income families.
Sorry, no experience with JASSO or other scholarship/loan applications myself.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
MacAddict
Regular

Post by MacAddict »

Thank you for your advice.
ClearAsMud
Veteran

Post by ClearAsMud »

You seem to be looking for what is termed 給付奨学金 or 給付型奨学金, which is the term for scholarships that don't have to be repaid.

The relevant JASSO page (Japanese) is the one below (use the menu on the right-hand side):

https://www.jasso.go.jp/shogakukin/abou ... index.html

Eligibility for JASSO scholarships for non-citizens is apparently limited to permanent residents or to spouses of Japanese citizens or permanent residents, but you may be able to turn up other scholarships that don't require repayment (you might check out centers for international education at the major universities for leads, too).
MacAddict
Regular

Post by MacAddict »

Thank you.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Unis will sometimes proactivly offer scholarships to applicants that do not have to be repaid. Usually the student will pay admission fees, but have the first year's tuition waved (or just charged 50%). Maintaining a high GPA will allow the student to keep it.

It might be based on high school GPA or entrance exam/interview scores. It can also be for sports or some special ability or skill (language, math, etc.).
MacAddict
Regular

Post by MacAddict »

Yes, locating that funding source requires a large amount of luck .. or knowing someone .. from my experience so far :(