Credit card comparisons

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
Hayabubu
Regular

Re: Credit card comparisons

Post by Hayabubu »

I tried to apply online for an Amazon card (which is actually an SMB card) last week and got stuck in an endless error loop. At the last stage of the process to set up the 口座振込 from my bank, their system tells me my application is incomplete and I need to set up the 口座振込 . I tried again and got the same message. However, Shinsei bank emailed me to thank me for setting up my 振込 to SMBC!

Having decided that I no longer want an Amazon card if their system is so messed up, I called Shinsei to ask them to cancel the 振込登録。They inform me that they can’t do anything at their end and it has to be cancelled by SMBC (who don’t think it exists..) :|
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Hey all, so I got my premium card in the mail today. It came with a leaflet about Rakuten Edy and how you can get double points through using it.

Their example is: for every 200 yen that gets auto-charged, you get 1 point, and for every 200 yen you spend, you get an additional point. More or less, that's 1% in points back for using this additional service. But if I were to pay for these items using a Rakuten credit card, don't I already get 1% in points? Plus potentially an additional 0.5% from showing my point card in a participating store, plus a potential additional 0.5% if paying by Pay (if applicable).So if anything, Edy seems to be half points not double. I'm obviously missing something, so if I am please let me know!
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Viralriver wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:36 am Hey all, so I got my premium card in the mail today. It came with a leaflet about Rakuten Edy and how you can get double points through using it.

Their example is: for every 200 yen that gets auto-charged, you get 1 point, and for every 200 yen you spend, you get an additional point. More or less, that's 1% in points back for using this additional service. But if I were to pay for these items using a Rakuten credit card, don't I already get 1% in points? Plus potentially an additional 0.5% from showing my point card in a participating store, plus a potential additional 0.5% if paying by Pay (if applicable).So if anything, Edy seems to be half points not double. I'm obviously missing something, so if I am please let me know!
No, you're correct. Pay has 0.5% more than Edy. Its just there are stores who accept Edy but not Pay and vice-versa. Edy was Rakuten's first foray into E-cash and Pay is their other one. I personally like using the contactless NFC stuff instead of the QR store just because its less hassle.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Edy: 0.5% at charge time (via Rakuten Card), 0.5% at spend time. 1% total.
Rakuten Card: 1% at spend time. No difference in points.
Rakuten Pay: 0.5% at charge time (via Rakuten Card), 1% at spend time. 1.5% total.

Both Edy and Rakuten Pay lose the 0.5% charge bonus if you don't charge them first with Rakuten Card.

Given that you can use Rakuten CC as contactless payment, and it also works with QuicPay, Edy is basically pointless, except for the case that some places accept Edy but not credit cards.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Thanks for the help, makes perfect sense! I can't think of a single place I've found that takes Edy and not credit cards so I think I'll just ignore Edy completely.

So essentially, use Pay where I can and credit card otherwise.

@adamu: does showing the point card before the Rakuten Pay payment make any difference in those calculations?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

The point card gives you the points regardless of the type of payment option you use so it wouldn't factor into any considerations since you could even use dpoints or tpoints in this way and get the same result.

Although one thing to note is that you can use Pay tied to your CC but that doesn't give extra points. You need to charge it using Rakuten Cash (that magic word again) to get the extra 0.5%

This isn't really different from charging Edy or Paypay or a Suica. It just removes the convenience of not having to charge.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Understood, thanks. A very similar question (and this is probably just me misunderstanding what cannibalises what). I paid for a hotel on Rakuten Travel today and used the remainder of my Rakuten Cash. I seem to get 1% back in points directly on the website, and I don't believe this depends on the payment method. So in this case if I charge my Rakuten Cash with that amount I would essentially get an additional 0.5% in points? But then conversely, if I actually just paid with a credit card would I get the additional 1% (total 2%) on this purchase?

Sorry, questions are all pretty similar but Rakuten makes it very confusing with offering 1% in many different places and it's not clear if this is in addition to the 1% you would get from the credit card or not.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Viralriver wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:03 pm Understood, thanks. A very similar question (and this is probably just me misunderstanding what cannibalises what). I paid for a hotel on Rakuten Travel today and used the remainder of my Rakuten Cash. I seem to get 1% back in points directly on the website, and I don't believe this depends on the payment method. So in this case if I charge my Rakuten Cash with that amount I would essentially get an additional 0.5% in points? But then conversely, if I actually just paid with a credit card would I get the additional 1% (total 2%) on this purchase?

Sorry, questions are all pretty similar but Rakuten makes it very confusing with offering 1% in many different places and it's not clear if this is in addition to the 1% you would get from the credit card or not.
Rakuten Pay gives out 1% on usage so you get 2.5% with them versus 2% with the card. This calculation changes if you're using the Premium Card travel course which gives out +1% on Rakuten Travel. In that situation, you get 3% using the card.

Actually we never mentioned the "courses" in Premium. If you travel alot, the travel course might be good for you. Or you wait for Rakuten to offer you the black card (actually a platinum) and get all the courses.