Rakuten signup woes

JAH

Rakuten signup woes

Post by JAH »

(New to the forum, so apologies if this is the wrong place or this question has already been answered.)
I'm also new to investing and have a lot to learn, but decided to start by setting up a regular NISA account with Rakuten. Or trying to. I'm currently stuck in a cycle that goes like this:
1. I input my name as it appears on my resident card (last first middle).
2. I complete the other info (including selecting 2032 as "limit of stay" because the pull-down menu doesn't give permanent residency as an option).
3. I upload ID, complete the process, and get a confirmation email.
4. The next day I get an email asking me to correct an error in my application and resubmit my ID.
5. I login and find that my middle name has vanished, and my name has been flagged for not matching the name on my ID.
6. I try again with a different OS/browser, but the same thing happens.

I've now gone through four cycles of this, and am out of ideas. I tried customer service, but there seems to be no channel for email/web-form enquiries, and the help number on the application page was just a bot that directed me to commonly answered questions on the website.

Has anyone encountered this problem and found a way to solve it?
If not, could anyone recommend an alternative to Rakuten with a signup process that doesn't have a problem with middle names?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Rakuten signup woes

Post by RetireJapan »

If all else fails you should be able to call them and ask them to send you a paper application form: https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/support/contact/
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
JAH

Re: Rakuten signup woes

Post by JAH »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:42 am If all else fails you should be able to call them and ask them to send you a paper application form: https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/support/contact/
Thanks for the reply. I did actually try that "new customers" number as well a few days ago, but gave up after just being kept on hold for ages waiting my turn. I may give it another try, or just apply somewhere else.