2024 Nisa Preparations

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

2024 Nisa Preparations

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

What are you buying in your taxable account, knowing you may have to sell some of it to fill your 2024 Nisa contribution?

I was considering Maxis All country ETF instead of the Emaxis Slim All Country.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Re: 2024 Nisa Preparations

Post by sutebayashi »

My thinking is to simply sell my stock index tracking assets with priority, then bonds indexed assets, irrespective of whether they make or lose money this year in a taxable account.

If there are taxable profits in 2023, that’s good news, and future gains can be in tax protected nisa from 2024.
If there are taxable losses, those losses might be useful for tax purposes, but if not, still putting the assets into tax protected nisa from 2024 seems a decent idea.

I am predominantly doing passive, index based investing, be it in regular nisa or taxable, and don’t plan to change much with new nisa in 2024.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

sutebayashi wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:02 pm My thinking is to simply sell my stock index tracking assets with priority, then bonds indexed assets, irrespective of whether they make or lose money this year in a taxable account.

If there are taxable profits in 2023, that’s good news, and future gains can be in tax protected nisa from 2024.
If there are taxable losses, those losses might be useful for tax purposes, but if not, still putting the assets into tax protected nisa from 2024 seems a decent idea.

I am predominantly doing passive, index based investing, be it in regular nisa or taxable, and don’t plan to change much with new nisa in 2024.
I hear you. Are you buying trusts or ETFS though?

The trusts take time to sell and purchase and are not ideal for quick turnarounds, which is why I was thinking ETFs for 2023, and trusts for 2024.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

I have been mostly in eMAXIS mutual funds, but at the end of last year started switching to ETFs here and there.

I plan to continue to use both. Toshins are good for low transaction costs so I am happy to accumulate with them.

If I have holdings of both in early 2024, I think I would look to sell whatever works to minimize taxable gains, and switching hassles. I guess I will sell taxable to fill up my growth allocation but use new money for the tsumitate allocation.
nanaya
Regular

Post by nanaya »

I've been running on almost no emergency fund for years so I figured I should finally fill it up and only make the minimum contributions (maxing out ideco and tsumitate nisa) this year :lol:
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Max out Tsumitate NISA for a year and save the rest as cash to lump-sum invest next year in the new NISA...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...