Opening Brokerage Account - SBI,Monex,Rakuten

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Owl

Opening Brokerage Account - SBI,Monex,Rakuten

Post by Owl »

How difficult is it to open an account with these local online brokers - could someone with zero Japanese language skills navigate the account opening procedures using google translate and other online translation tools?

For those that have opened more than one account - is one broker's application process easier to navigate than the others?
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Opening Brokerage Account - SBI,Monex,Rakuten

Post by Tkydon »

Probably not. Consider Interactive Brokers Japan.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

They are not supposed to allow you to be a customer if you can't understand Japanese because it means they are unable to fulfill their obligations to inform you of the risks and compliance issues for having an account. I have accounts at all three of these companies and at least two required telephone interviews so they could confirm my identity and ability to communicate in Japanese.
Owl

Post by Owl »

Tkydon wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:41 am Probably not. Consider Interactive Brokers Japan.
Thanks. I already opened an IBJ account....just wanted to see if it was possible to open a "local" account or simply impossible/too frustrating to try.
Owl

Post by Owl »

TokyoWart wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:50 am They are not supposed to allow you to be a customer if you can't understand Japanese because it means they are unable to fulfill their obligations to inform you of the risks and compliance issues for having an account. I have accounts at all three of these companies and at least two required telephone interviews so they could confirm my identity and ability to communicate in Japanese.
Do you recall which 2 did the telephone check?
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

Owl wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:45 pm
TokyoWart wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:50 am They are not supposed to allow you to be a customer if you can't understand Japanese because it means they are unable to fulfill their obligations to inform you of the risks and compliance issues for having an account. I have accounts at all three of these companies and at least two required telephone interviews so they could confirm my identity and ability to communicate in Japanese.
Do you recall which 2 did the telephone check?
I am sure Rakuten was one of them but can't recall if SBI or Monex was the other which did a phone interview.