Banking, Wills, Access to husband's accounts

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Banking, Wills, Access to husband's accounts

Post by RetireJapan »

wsanton wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:39 pm they require my U.S. Social Security number to open a new account
That is a US government requirement. Not the bank's fault!
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
wsanton

Post by wsanton »

Yes,thanks. I haven't tried to open a new Japan bank account in a while so was surprised by recent requirement. Apparently SSN still not required for bank accounts already opened before new rules took effect. Again, many thanks for the information and ideas.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

wsanton wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:24 am Yes,thanks. I haven't tried to open a new Japan bank account in a while so was surprised by recent requirement. Apparently SSN still not required for bank accounts already opened before new rules took effect. Again, many thanks for the information and ideas.
My experience was the that the SS# was requested for bank accounts that I already had opened (in 1996-7) before the new rules. Not sure how consistent they are with these requests.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Same here--both a regional, opened in the late 80s, and shinsei (2000s), eventually got to me. But iirc, neither has been in contact since then, and my 'gaijin' card has to have expired/been renewed at least once since then.