How to start e-tax filling? Is IC card reader/writer necessary?

kanpanela
Regular

How to start e-tax filling? Is IC card reader/writer necessary?

Post by kanpanela »

Hi all!

I am trying to understand the tax paying process and I read on this forum that people use an e-tax form.
I tried to start it on the website but they say that either a mynumber IC card and a reader/writer is needed or an id/pass.
Since I only have paper mynumber, I elected for the id/pass option but it seems like one needs an IC card and a reader/writer to have that id/pass sent to your house?
ご自宅から行う方法
作成コーナートップ画面の「ID・パスワード方式の届出」から届出を行うことができます。
届出を行う場合のみ、マイナンバーカードとICカードリーダライタが必要となります。
届出を行うと、作成コーナーからe-Taxを利用する際、マイナンバーカードとICカードリーダライタが不要になります。
Would be great if other people could share their stories how they got to start using the e-tax form.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: How to start e-tax filling? Is IC card reader/writer necessary?

Post by RetireJapan »

You need the IC card/reader to do your tax return online, but if you don't have it you can complete your return online, print it out, and send it to the tax office by post.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
kanpanela
Regular

Post by kanpanela »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:48 am You need the IC card/reader to do your tax return online, but if you don't have it you can complete your return online, print it out, and send it to the tax office by post.
Indeed it is as you say!
I can still fill it online regardless!

Thank you for this clarification!
mule96
Veteran

Post by mule96 »

There is a way where you can use your android smartphone for using as a mynumber card reader for e-tax. You need to install plenty of stuff. I never managed to make it work.
kanpanela
Regular

Post by kanpanela »

mule96 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:08 pm There is a way where you can use your android smartphone for using as a mynumber card reader for e-tax. You need to install plenty of stuff. I never managed to make it work.
Thanks mule96 but now no worries, as filling online and then printing is no problem.
I was worried that printing means I don't get to use the online interface at all (along with its conveniences)
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

You don’t need a card reader and you don’t need to print it either. You just need a username and password from the tax office and then you can submit it electronically. I’ve done that the last two years now. Well easy!

When I first did my taxes at the tax office several years ago, they just gave me the username and login. And then they send a postcard with the username every year.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Gareth wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:13 am When I first did my taxes at the tax office several years ago, they just gave me the username and login. And then they send a postcard with the username every year.
According to the website, it's not possible to submit with only a password (i.e. no My Number Card verification) unless you do it in person at the office. I didn't realise they keep sending it to you so you can continue doing that! Will have to try that next time. :-)

https://www.e-tax.nta.go.jp/kojin/idpw.htm
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

I think I understand it a bit more now. Looks like to get a username and password initially, you need to show ID at the tax office or use your MyNumber card with a card reader at home.

But once you have the username and password, you don’t need to go to the tax office or use a card reader (for now - the site hints that card readers and MyNumber cards will be mandatory in the future). You need the postcard they send you because it has a verification code on it. Once you have your username, password and postcard, you can submit your taxes online without needing to print it and send it in.