Accidental cash advance USD>JPY transfer

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
TJKansai
Veteran

Accidental cash advance USD>JPY transfer

Post by TJKansai »

I wanted to make my credit card spend for a bonus, so I decided to prepay my Japan tax. I do this with US taxes on occasion and it is no big deal.

Almost every year I get a slip from the tax office asking me to pay installments, and I assumed it would be coming soon.

Using the US credit card when the rate is so good makes sense to boot and justifies the 1% credit card fee charged on the Japan side.

Turns out the tax office doesn't like you paying in advance unless they ask you. They called us and told us they would refund the money, in JPY cash, to my bank account here.
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Accidental cash advance USD>JPY transfer

Post by Tkydon »

They only issue Yotei Nozei Expected Tax Payment Slips if you had a large amount of income in the previous tax year that was not subject to withholding tax throughout the tax year, and you had a large bill at the Kakutei Shinkoku.

If they issue you Yotei Nozei Payment Slips based on the previous year's income, but you don't expect that income this year, you can request a reassessment and they can cancel the Yotei Nozei. I wonder if it can happen the other way around if you expect a large amount of income that is not subject to withholding in the current tax year. They probably won't, and just expect you to put the tax aside...

At least, the card transaction stays, as they will refund the payment to your Japanese Bank Account and not to the card ;-)
Last edited by Tkydon on Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Tkydon wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:04 am They only issue Yotei Nozei Expected Tax Payment Slips if you had a large amount of income in the previous tax year that was not subject to whitholding tax throughout the tax year, and you had a large bill at the Kakutei Shinkoku.

If they issue you Yotei Nozei Payment Slips based on the previous year's income, but you don't expect that income this year, you can request a reassessment and they can cancel the Yotei Nozei. I wonder if it can happen the other way around if you expect a large amount of income that is not subject to witholding in the current tax year. They probably won't, and just expect you to put the tax aside...

At least, the card transaction stays, as they will refund the payment to your Japanese Bank Account and not to the card ;-)
Apparently the cut-off is somewhere around ¥150,000. Less than that and I think they won't issue the yotei nozei.
I didn't know about the cancel option.
Yeah, I was concerned if they repaid the credit card I might lose my bonus, but that wasn't an issue. :D
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

TJKansai wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:13 am
Tkydon wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:04 am They only issue Yotei Nozei Expected Tax Payment Slips if you had a large amount of income in the previous tax year that was not subject to whitholding tax throughout the tax year, and you had a large bill at the Kakutei Shinkoku.

If they issue you Yotei Nozei Payment Slips based on the previous year's income, but you don't expect that income this year, you can request a reassessment and they can cancel the Yotei Nozei. I wonder if it can happen the other way around if you expect a large amount of income that is not subject to witholding in the current tax year. They probably won't, and just expect you to put the tax aside...

I always have an extra 800,000 that isn't subject to withholding, but still the yotei nozei is inconsistent. I probably get it every other year.
Probably due to dependents' ages and some salary variability with my main job.

Apparently the cut-off is somewhere around ¥150,000. Less than that and I think they won't issue the yotei nozei.

Yeah, I was concerned if they repaid the credit card I might lose my bonus, but that wasn't an issue. :D
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

I always have an extra 800,000 that isn't subject to withholding, but still the yotei nozei is inconsistent. I probably get it every other year.
Probably due to dependents' ages and some salary variability with my main job.