Is it true ...?

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
Cracaphat
Regular

Is it true ...?

Post by Cracaphat »

Today I went to a local credit union bank to open up an account and got told that I need to
provide my tax file number from my country in order to open an account.The staff said that the law
had changed and that this was a necessity.Is that so? Thanx.
TokyoWart
Veteran

Re: Is it true ...?

Post by TokyoWart »

That is true if you are a US citizen. The IRS requires it and the US negotiated with Japan so that this requirement will be enforced.
Cracaphat
Regular

Post by Cracaphat »

TokyoWart wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:09 pm That is true if you are a US citizen. The IRS requires it and the US negotiated with Japan so that this requirement will be enforced.
Thanks for replying TokyoWart. I'm not American though, so maybe they just didn't want my business! I'll go to a proper bank when I can be bothered!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

OECD countries are now sharing tax information, for residents of those countries. It is possible that the bank you spoke to is confused about this.

On forms, you need to check the box that says 'I am not a resident of a foreign country' and then you shouldn't be asked for the TIN.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Cracaphat
Regular

Post by Cracaphat »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:23 am OECD countries are now sharing tax information, for residents of those countries. It is possible that the bank you spoke to is confused about this.

On forms, you need to check the box that says 'I am not a resident of a foreign country' and then you shouldn't be asked for the TIN.
Thanx RetireJapan.I feel that the staff just thought it applies to all foreigners regardless.I'll get into gear and go check a proper bank soon or just open an online if no bricks and mortars will take me. ;) Cheers.
ricardo
Veteran

Post by ricardo »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:23 am OECD countries are now sharing tax information, for residents of those countries. It is possible that the bank you spoke to is confused about this.

Makes sense. My U.K. bank required me to provide my Japanese TIN (aka ‘my number’ here) as I’m a resident of another country from their point of view.
Sybil

Post by Sybil »

ricardo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:25 pm Makes sense. My U.K. bank required me to provide my Japanese TIN (aka ‘my number’ here) as I’m a resident of another country from their point of view.

May I ask how did the British bank know you lived overseas? Do you use a Japanese postal address with them?
ricardo
Veteran

Post by ricardo »

Sybil wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:20 am
ricardo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:25 pm Makes sense. My U.K. bank required me to provide my Japanese TIN (aka ‘my number’ here) as I’m a resident of another country from their point of view.

May I ask how did the British bank know you lived overseas? Do you use a Japanese postal address with them?
Yes, of course. They require to know a customer’s country of residence. I have no address anywhere else.
Cracaphat
Regular

Post by Cracaphat »

Went to Mizuho today and could open up an account no problem.Staff were very helpful too.All I really got asked was do I have an account outside Japan.Just needed my gaijin card, insurance card and hanko.
Sybil

Post by Sybil »

ricardo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:20 pm They require to know a customer’s country of residence. I have no address anywhere else.
I'm surprised a British bank would allow someone to open an account without an address in the UK. The risk reward for the bank doesn't seem worth it.